Topic: I'm a maroon, over my head, help me.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew with Chumby. I'm a windows guy who has dabbled in Mac and really wanted to get into Linux. I bought Chumby, I gots me an EEE and I'm just not getting it. I want to stream music my my NAS Windows share and I installed SlimShare thinking I could do this and play tunes and navigate through Chumby. I have trudged through the forums and I find that it looks possible but every post or hint looks like it involves shell access or something else that's past me. My first OS was Geos and I used to really enjoy playing around in DOS but I'm afraid decades of Window have me looking for buttons that do stuff for me. If anyone can help with my streaming situation or maybe point me to a good noob linux guide I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Re: I'm a maroon, over my head, help me.

I assume when you say "SlimShare", you mean "SlimServer" - if so, most of the arcane Linux shell script stuff discussed on the forum is no longer necessary because the latest Control Panel builds in the support for SlimServer.

Just open the Control Panel, select "Music" and scroll the list to "SlimServer".  You just need to enter the IP of the machine running your SlimServer, and hit the play button.

Re: I'm a maroon, over my head, help me.

Duane wrote:

Just open the Control Panel, select "Music" and scroll the list to "SlimServer".  You just need to enter the IP of the machine running your SlimServer, and hit the play button.

I think this assumes that SlimServer is already playing a stream. If not, you might have to explicitly choose playlists and fire up the stream via a web browser on another system.