Topic: Third-party developer widgets published

As many of you know, we've been pretty backlogged lately in processing third-party widgets to get them publicly accessible.  While we are setting a more comprehensive system for managing this, we've opted for a temporary solution that will get your widgets out there quickly, but help people understand that these widgets are not "official" and have not been through extensive testing.

We have opened up the widget floodgates and have pushed many of the developer widgets live to the chumby network to a new category called "Widget Laboratory".

We are trying to get your widgets pushed live quickly so when you upload a widget and mark it public, we’ll do a quick sanity test to assure the widget works and abides by our Terms of Use, and add the widget to the live site within 2 business days.

We need your help in ranking and testing the widgets in the "Widget Laboratory" . Please notify us if stuff doesn’t work, and we'll pass your comments on to the author/developer.  As these widgets go through formal testing, and based on your rankings and comments, we'll do a more formal promotion and proper categorization.

Thank you for your patience while we continue to improve our Developer Program.

Re: Third-party developer widgets published

Thanks for setting this up Duane. This might be just what we are looking for.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Once there is a lot more developers, it may make sense to give evaluation/release priority to the ones providing the source. This would encourage Open Source attitude all the way to the 3rd party content.

yay! I'll start making widgets then!

What is the schedule like for refreshing the "Widget Lab" at least?

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

Duane-

Can you let us know what the current backlog is for the Chumby Labs? There are a couple widgets from other developers that I have been waiting for, one for a few weeks now. For example jvc's Generic Webcam widget. You've made it clear in your opening post that the widgets in the Lab's section are not fully tested, so I am wondering why these few widgets have not been released. I believe this widget would be extremely usefull to many users.

Thanks

-HuckFinn

Not sure - I'll ping the person in charge of that.

Thank you for your quick response. I just ordered up my second Chumby for the office. I took my first one into work the other day and it was a huge hit. Hopefully you see a few more orders.

-HuckFinn

Duane-

Any update on this front? I am still waiting (impatiently I'll add) for jvc's generic webcam widget and I see other widgets get posted to the labs the same day.

-HuckFinn

The one I believe is supposed to be the general webcam widget (ie. "Webcam Capture Viewer") in jvc's account is not currently marked by him to be promoted to public, which is why it's not showing up in our normal queries for potential public widgets.

OK, the "Widget Laboratories" category has been removed - widget developers should now assign their widgets to the appropriate categories.