Topic: widget groups

Are there more widgets around the corner?
I will say that I am almost at the point of confusion with the amount of content available now.
My hope is that there are more defined categories and possibly subcategories created.
Possibly packaged groups?
For example.
One of my channels is pure out door live webcams. I love 'em. But I had to hunt to find them all and collect them in one place.
So collections of this nature may be appreciated.
Another "group" I like is clocks. These are for the most part in one place.

The idea of sharing Channels might be fun.

Is it possible to create SubCategories?
IMHO there is a lot of content now. If it is true that more is about to come out things may easily become overwhelming. How do you plan to help users with this? When there is too much to choose from it can be a problem.
The idea is that quality widgets are very important.
Bad widgets should be removed. Example the How old are you widget is (or was I unloaded it when I found that it did not work correctly) did not work shouldn't content which is inaccurate or not working be removed?
I think so.

There should be a "last chance" Bin for unpopular or just plain crappy Widgets. they can then be phased out.

If you heap more and more Widgets without removing some of the low quality Widgets then the quality base of widgets will fall. remove the crappy content and the quality base goes up.

It is easy to weed them out. Just place widgets with less than say 5 users or ones which are not working correctly into a last chance bin. If they (the creator) don't correct the issues and if the user count remains low then the Widget can be safely removed and nobody will notice for the most part.
It would seem to me to be a smart idea to remove some of the non used (if any) widgets before adding a bunch more new ones.
Since there are so many and so many categories it may be difficult to find the new content.
For example the widget LAB group has grown so large that it is very difficult to navigate that group.
reducing it's size will help a great deal.
I would also like to be able to view more than the 5 or 10 widgets at a time. I would like to be able to see all (even if it is 100) widgets on a single page. the viewing by name or date is great it is just too few at a time.
OK there you have it...
yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Re: widget groups

We expect the rating system to be the criterion under which widgets compete for attention.

The problem with making judgement calls on the quality of widgets is that what some people find silly or useless, others find interesting and useful.  Who makes the call?

For instance, quite a few of the widgets in the "Weird" category are mine - some of them are, well, very very weird, and appeal to a very small, but enthusiastic group of followers.  You can see this in the comments - some people "get" the widgets, others think they're absolute trash.

Many widgets are perfectly fine but may be dependent upon a flaky server that would give the illusion of non-functionality.

Yes, I agree there are some clunkers out there - if you think so too, rate these widgets down and comment on them so the author can get some feedback.  Conversely, if you see widgets you like, rate them up and let the author know.

Re: widget groups

sure you have thought of it but tagging would help