1 (edited by wayn3w 2008-01-17 20:23:03)

Topic: chumbhowld & Port 8082

What is chumbhowld, and what information is it trying to gather and display on port 8082, as in:

<resolved count="5" ommitted="0" chumbhowld_ver="1.15">
<resolve interface="2" name="Chupco Device" type="_http._tcp." domain="local." address="172.25.250.49" port="80">
</resolve>
<resolve interface="2" name="Chupco Device" type="_ssh._tcp." domain="local." address="172.25.250.49" port="22">
</resolve>
<resolve interface="2" name="wayn3w’s Computer" type="_afpovertcp._tcp." domain="local." address="172.25.251.11" port="548">
</resolve>
<resolve interface="2" name="wayn3w’s Computer" type="_ftp._tcp." domain="local." address="172.25.251.11" port="21">
</resolve>
<resolve interface="2" name="wayn3w’s Computer" type="_ssh._tcp." domain="local." address="172.25.251.11" port="22">
</resolve>
</resolved>

If I was to guess, chumby is scanning ports on my local network... and found my Mac, a la Bonjour.  Could you please tell me what the Chumby does with this info?

wayn3w

Re: chumbhowld & Port 8082

It's zeroconf, aka "Bonjour".  "Howl" is a library that implements zeroconf, and chumbhowld is an HTTP daemon that will allow queries from Flash to look for things on your network for use in Control Panels and perhaps widgets.

The purpose is so that chumbys can see each other, and see other devices on the local network for future use.  For instance, the chumby can use chumbhowld to see your TiVO, to find Mac shares, printers, and other things.  If you have a Mac, you'll see your chumbys show up in the Bonjour menu, since it beacons its internal HTTP server on the network.

It's *not* scanning ports - it's just showing services that are being explicitly advertised by the devices on your network.

For instance, your computer is advertising the availability of Appleshare, SSH and FTP, and the chumby is advertising HTTP and SSH.

3 (edited by wayn3w 2008-01-18 06:02:04)

Re: chumbhowld & Port 8082

Cool, thanks!  I'll read up on Bonjour/zeroconf.   This also explains why the chumby is listening on port 5353 as well.

I must apologize for saying "port scanning" -- I should have used something like "network discovery" which has a better connotation.

wayn3w