Topic: 3-D Motion Analysis

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Motion_analysis some motion analysis boiled down to what you need. Its meant for the WiiMote, but I don't see why its not helpful for the chumby. I am curious what kids of widgets (games?) will arise from the accelerometer. So far, the only "non-test" one is the pendulum one, which is very cool, but I hoped this would spark some ideas.

2 (edited by zachninme 2007-03-01 17:46:30)

Re: 3-D Motion Analysis

I made a small little widget that rotates a bar +/- 90 degrees (180 total). For the other 180, you have to do some sort of listener based off of past data.

http://zbanks.mine.nu/chumby/roll2.swf

A word of warning, its all black, so you need to close the control panel before running.

Care to post the source?
B

Sure!

_accelerometer = ["ASnative"](5,60);
this.onEnterFrame = function(){
    currentY = _accelerometer(3)*0.0024489559928062587-5;
    if(currentY <= 1 && currentY >=-1)
    {
        roll = Math.asin(currentY);
        roll *= -60;
    }else{
        roll = 180;
    }
    handle1._rotation = roll;
}

Put that in frame 1, and make a symbol, and call the instance "handle1". Make sure to offset the pivot point!
I don't have the original flash anymore, that was salvaged from another project :-)

look at the new widget in 'Weird' called Accelerometer Calibration

It does the stuff called out from the accelerometers manufacturer for calibration
The outputs of this would need to go into a master class, that all widgets could access...

The values are time averaged (10 samples) to gain some stability
The math was really straitforward and leads one to the possibility of simply replacing a joystick/keyboard with tilts and hits (maybe using a finger to cover the light sensor for a fire button...)

I'll post the code if anyone wants it...

B

6 (edited by zachninme 2007-03-03 06:38:06)

Yeah, it would be nice to see it.
I'd like to see if anyone can figure out how to recognize gestures. Again, WiiLi has some decent stuff to look at, under "Wiimote", as they are trying to do the same thing tongue

Also, it is interesting to notice, but someone argues THIS is the formula for roll:
roll = atan2(acc_X, acc_Z);
(That is in some other language, not AS)

I was using:

roll = asin(acc_Y);

(AS: roll = Math.asin(acc_Y); )

After playing with my little bit of code... I'm pretty sure that the application space available will not be sufficient to do this the way the app notes want you to...

The Wiki mentioned above is specific to the WII.  Our accelerometer is a little different in that if you only take three calibration samples, then you are either cutting off a min/max value for either the X or Y axis...

Also the averaging I was doing appears to take up more space than is realistic.
x1, y1, z1 are variables that are stuffed with the accelerometer outputs when Chumby is screen up (towards the ceiling)
x2, y2, z2 are variables that are stuffed with the accelerometer outputs when Chumby is screen down (towards the floor).

This appears to show the max variance for the X axis (Screen up ~ 2400, screen down ~1600 - midpoint ~2000)

x3, y3, z3 are variables that are stuffed with the accelerometer outputs when Chumby is screen right (screen towards wall on right)
x4, y4, z4 are variables that are stuffed with the accelerometer outputs when Chumby is screen left (screen towards wall on left).

This appears to show the max variance for the Y axis (Screen right ~ 2400, screen left ~1600 - midpoint ~2000)

The Z axis appears to show rotation.  This can be seen by slowly turning in a circle while watching the Z value.  It also shows acceleration as a component of one of the other axis, when acceleration is fast enough.

x0 = (x1 + x2)/2;
y0 = (y3 + y4)/2;
z0 = (z1 + z2)/2;

Gives us the mathematical average of the most variance and should show the midpoint of deflection.

ttxx.text = ((XSampAvg - x0)/(x3 - x0));
ttyy.text = ((YSampAvg - y0)/(y2 - y0));
ttzz.text = ((ZSampAvg - z0)/(y1 - z0));

gives us what the wii wiki would call normalized to 'g' values.  Takes compute cycles and is useless unless you really want fine control and gestures... we're not there yet - we need to characterize better what Chumby is really doing...

The accelerometer in the wii appears to be different than the Chumby accelerometer in a couple of significant ways.
1.  Physical orientation
2.  Actual operation (sensitivity - which is a function of implementation)

So... Trying to figure out what we don't know from what we DO know
1.  X axis - max value is when Chumby is screen up.  Regardless of how someone is holding a Chumby in a room, the max X value is when the screen is up and the min valus is when the Chumby is screen down.  The midpoint (~2000) occurrs when the Chumby is on its side and the screen is oriented such that you can read it from across the room.
2.  Y axis - Max value is when Chumby is on it's RIGHT side.  Min value is on LEFT side.  midpoint in middle.
3.  Z axis - This will be the key axis for telling the difference for when you are tilting the X axis either towards you or away from you (as nothing in the Y axis will help you, here...).  The problem here is that these values will be different depending on what your 'rotation' about the Chumbys imaginary Z axis is...

So the real problem for Chumby acceleromer usage as a pointing device or 'in game navigator' is in figuring out how to take the Z axis data and intelligently compare against Z axis history to derive the significanve of X axis tilts.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this...

Any thoughts?

B

Here's the important code from the Pendulum widget, whcih might be helpful to folks playing with it:

P3D = function(x,y,z) {
    this.x = x;
    this.y = y;
    this.z = z;
    return this;
}

P3D._factor = 0.0024489559928062587;
P3D._accel = ASNative(5,60);
P3D._accelerometerComponent = function(index) {
    var val = P3D._accel(index);
    if (val==undefined || val==0) return 0; // handle regular Flash and Foo chumbys
    return val*P3D._factor-5; }
//
// x = right, y = up, z = out
//
P3D.fromAccelerometer = function() {
    return new P3D(P3D._accelerometerComponent(6),P3D._accelerometerComponent(7),-P3D._accelerometerComponent(5));
}

P3D.prototype.plus = function(p) {
    return new P3D(this.x+p.x,this.y+p.y,this.z+p.z);
}

P3D.prototype.scale = function(m) {
    if (typeof(m)=="number") {
        return new P3D(this.x*m,this.y*m,this.z*m);
    } else {
        return new P3D(this.x*m.x,this.y*m.y,this.z*m.z);
    }
}

P3D.prototype.distance = function() {
    return Math.sqrt(this.distance2());
}

P3D.prototype.distance2 = function() {
    return this.x*this.x+this.y*this.y+this.z*this.z;
}

The physics of the pendulum (actually a simple spring/mass system) is done with:

u = new P3D(0,-100,0); // initial position of mass
v = new P3D(0,0,0); // initial velocity of mass
k = 0.5; // spring constant
R = 100; // rest length of spring
b = 0.02; // friction
m = 1.0; // mass

function compute() {
    var fg = P3D.fromAccelerometer().scale(10);// compute force from accelerometer
    var L = u.distance(); // get current length of spring
    var fs = u.scale((R-L)*k/L); // compute the force from the spring
    var fd = v.scale(-b); // compute the damping force
    var a = fg.plus(fs).plus(fd).scale(1/m); // compute the acceleration from the forces
    v = v.plus(a); // update the velocity vector with the acceleration vector
    u = u.plus(v); // update the position vector with the velocity vector
}

The value of 'u' is then run through a simple perspective calculation to set the position of the movieClip representing the mass.

Our accelerometer doesn't know anything about rotation, per se - what we get is instantaneous forces in each of the three othogonal axes.

Thanks for the code!

Yeah, using atan2, you can get 2 axis of rotation. The only one you cant get, is the one perpendicular to Earth. However, you technically *could*, as long as a "jerking" motion is used. But its not rotation, its just measuring how much you are spinning your chumby tongue

zachninme wrote:

Thanks for the code!

Yeah, using atan2, you can get 2 axis of rotation. The only one you cant get, is the one perpendicular to Earth. However, you technically *could*, as long as a "jerking" motion is used. But its not rotation, its just measuring how much you are spinning your chumby tongue

Yeah, bunnie and I talked about this a bit - the closer the accelerometer is to the center of rotation, the less you can tell if the chumby is being rotated around the vertical axis.  Moving the chip away from the center might help, except that you would not be able to easily differentiate between a force generated by rotation or by linear motion producing the same force vector.

Integration of the forces might help, but it would have to be extremely accurate.

Hmm... interesting.
Forces aren't my "thing", and I barely know about it. I wanted to ask you how you "Integrate" the forces. The first thing that popped in my head was calculus and integrals, but I was wondering if its just some form of combining, as I didn't think flash supported that!

Lets talk about integrating the forces...
Position (X,Y,Z) is related to
Velocity (X,Y,Z) by applying some basic calculus (it sounds harder than it really is...)

V(t) = dx/dt

where V(t) is the Velocity, expressed in (X,Y,Z) at time t
x is the position, expressed in (X,Y,X) at time t
dx/dt is simply how position changes over time

Mathematically, we can derive the final, simple equation if 'integrating' position by the following:

[Integral]{T1,T2} V(t) dt = x(T2) - x(T1)

Where we are just saying that the integral of position is equal to velocity... Better stated, without the math...
Velocity (X,Y,Z) = TimeStamp2(X,Y,Z) - TimeStamp1(X,Y,Z)
So - If we are sampling the accelerometer at a specific time interval, say 1/10th of a second... and someone drops Chumby...
The velocity at point of impact would be:
TimeStamp_Falling_(X,Y,Z) - TimeStamp_BigChangeInValues(X,Y,Z)
Expressed in cartesian coordinates.
Simply stated - Velocity is equal to the amount of change in the (X,Y,Z) values over a known period of time.

Acceleration is the exact same thing... only taking the change in velocity over a known period of time to get Acceleration.

I'll put together an example with math if someone wants to give a useful physical Chumby example.

B

Thanks.
The calculus part isn't a big deal, I just wasn't sure on how to apply it.

Pedometer Example

Lets say we want to make a widget that measures how far you've walked/ran...
We'll assume that Chumby has a long lasting battery and that you are not walking in a semi-circle around the wall outlet.

The accelerometer used in Chumby is a ADXL322 (from the schematics)
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Dat … DXL322.pdf
Is the datasheet for it.

Before we do anything with the accelerometer outputs, we need to calibrate these outputs so we know what each value means.
To do that, we need to examine the physical implementation...

The output of the accelerometer goes into an A/D converter:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D … 21298D.pdf
12-bits of resolution & 3.3V reference voltage
therefore; 3.3V/4096 = 0.0008056640625 Volts per bit

SO - For an Accelerometer reading of 2400, the real voltage measured is (2400 x 0.0008056640625)=1.9336V
   - For an accelerometer reading of 2000, the real voltage measured is (2000 x 0.0008056640625)=1.6116V
   - For an accelerometer reading of 1600, the real voltage measured is (1600 x 0.0008056640625)=1.2891V

We know from the datasheet that the accelerometer is ratiometric, so 0g output is typically Vs/2 = 3.3V/2 = 1.65V for a supply voltage of 3.3V.
This does not appear to jibe with the data we took above, so a correction factor needs to be introduced (fudge factor).
This fudge factor is probably from the resistor in the A/D ref voltage circuit that is supposed to reduce noise, but also reduces the reference voltage at the chip.
So - If we know that we read 2000 for midscale and that this should correspond to 1.65V, then
Corrected Volts per bit = 0g voltage/2000 = 1.65/2000 = 0.000825

We correct the other values to be:
   - For an Accelerometer reading of 2400, the real voltage measured is (2400 x 0.000825)=1.98V
   - For an accelerometer reading of 2000, the real voltage measured is (2000 x 0.000825)=1.65V
   - For an accelerometer reading of 1600, the real voltage measured is (1600 x 0.000825)=1.32V

Which is more in keeping with the expectations we can derive for output based on the datasheets.
To validate this, we look at the datasheet and see that Sensitivity is ~420mV/g at 3V=Vs.
We subtract 1.98V (our 1g value) from 1.65V (our 0g value) and get .330mV/g which is a little low, but useable.
There is still some error in here... but I will need to find it with a voltmeter on my Chumby later. 

The values of 1600, 2000 and 2400 were read directly from the X axis output of the Chumby, while rotating the Chumby to it's
Max value (screen up - 2400) = 1g
Min value (screen down - 1600) = -1g
and the median of the two, Chumby screen facing the wall 2000 = 0g

We do the same for the Y-axis by reading Chumby's Y output while leaning 90 degrees left, 90 degrees right and straight up.

To actually calibrate Chumby, we will need to take some X,Y and Z values while Chumby is oriented in different ways...
This allows us to derive what we don't know from what we do know.
We know that there is 1g of force acting to pull everything down to earth.
So, if we take readings of the accelerometer at each axis's min/max values, we can do some math that gives these values some significance.
For the X Axis
((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/2g = sensitivity
(2400-1600)/2 = 400/g
(The 2 is because we are at +1g@2400 and -1g@1600, encompassing a full 2g)

So what we just figured out is that the X axis reads ~2000 at 0g and that 400 in either direction makes 1g, or -1g

SO - To read acceleration directly from the X or Y axis (assuming we have the same calibration values for Y)
X-axis acceleration (g)= (RAW_X - 2000)/400

Where:
RAW_X is the actual Accelerometer X reading
2000 is the median, 0g value read during calibration
400 is the ((Max X value)-(Min X Value))/2g = sensitivity equation result
and is measured in g.

*** Now that we have 'normalized' the outputs to 'g', we could do the following to get pitch & roll:
PITCH = ASIN(X-axis acceleration found above)
ROLL  = ASIN(Y-axis acceleration)

Now is where it gets fun.
Now that we have instantaneous acceleration values, we can derive Velocity and position.
Lets inventory constants we know:
We know at what period we are sampling the accelerometer (12 frames/sec = 0.08333 Seconds per sample)
We know that an acceleration of 1g = 32.2 feet per second per second, which is about 22mph per second
   (which means that after 1 second, we'd be going 22mph and after 2 seconds, we'd be going 44mph, etc...)
Since we know how fast we are sampling, and how fast acceleration at 1g is, we also know that distance travelled @1g/sample = 2.683 feet

Lets say that we have an instantaneous reading in only the X direction of 0.45g, for 1.5 seconds
How far have we travelled?

Well - A reading of 0.45g, after we've done the math above, looks like 0.45.
Every sample is 1/12th of a second, so every time we read 0.45, we've travelled:
  (0.45 * 32.2) * 1/12 = 1.2075 feet
    where
      0.45 is the calculated X-axis acceleration
      32.2 is the amount of distance covered at 1g of acceleration
      1/12 is our number of samples per second

If we look at this the way a computer would... the above answer should be accumulated into a final distance register for 18 samples (1.5 seconds), which would give is a total distance of
18 * 1.2075 feet = 21.735 feet.

This running total would be used to calculate distance travelled.

Combining X & Y values is just using the X and Y results achieved above as components of a vector...
pythagorean theorem.
If we travelled 1.3 feet in the x direction and 4 feet in the y direction... the actual distance travelled is:
d=sqrt(X^2 + Y^2)=sqrt(1.3^2 + 4^2)=sqrt(1.69+16)=4.2059 feet

QED

Cool!
Before you publish it or anything, I've been using:
roll = Math.atan2(acc_X, acc_Z) * 60;
pitch = Math.atan2(acc_Y, acc_Z) * 60;

Code snippet for pedometer

ACCEL_CONST = 32.2; // feet per second ^2
FRAMES_PER_SECOND = 12;

// Plug in CAL values for now... set routine later with global variables
CAL_X_MAX = 2400;
CAL_X_MIN = 1600;
CAL_X_ZERO= (CAL_X_MAX + CAL_X_MIN)/2;
CAL_X_SENSITIVITY = (CAL_X_MAX - CAL_X_MIN)/2;

CAL_Y_MAX = 2400;
CAL_Y_MIN = 1600;
CAL_Y_ZERO= (CAL_Y_MAX + CAL_Y_MIN)/2;
CAL_X_SENSITIVITY = (CAL_Y_MAX - CAL_Y_MIN)/2;

PREVIOUS_X_ACCEL = 0;
PREVIOUS_Y_ACCEL = 0;

sampx = accel(4); // from memory... this might not be right.
  sampy = accel(5); // from memory... this might not be right.

X_ACCEL = (sampx - CAL_X_ZERO) / CAL_X_SENSITIVITY;
  Y_ACCEL = (sampy - CAL_Y_ZERO) / CAL_Y_SENSITIVITY;

//Calculate Current Speed for the sample interval
  // i.e... How fast were we going at the time the sample was taken
  // To figure out how far we've travelled, we need to take into
  // account how fast we were going before as well as acceleration
  X_IN_SPEED = (PREVIOUS_X_ACCEL * ACCEL_CONST); // in Feet per second^2
  X_OUT_XPEED = (X_ACCEL * ACCEL_CONST); // in Feet per second^2
  X_AVG_SPEED = (X_IN_SPEED + X_OUT_XPEED) / 2; // in Feet per second^2

Y_IN_SPEED = (PREVIOUS_Y_ACCEL * ACCEL_CONST); // in Feet per second^2
  Y_OUT_XPEED = (Y_ACCEL * ACCEL_CONST); // in Feet per second^2
  Y_AVG_SPEED = (Y_IN_SPEED + Y_OUT_XPEED) / 2; // in Feet per second^2

X_TRAVELLED = X_AVG_SPEED / FRAMES_PER_SECOND;
  Y_TRAVELLED = Y_AVG_SPEED / FRAMES_PER_SECOND;

DISTANCE_TRAVELLED = Math.sqrt(Math.pow(X_TRAVELLED, 2)+Math.pow(Y_TRAVELLED, 2));

TOTAL_DISTANCE_TRAVELLED += DISTANCE_TRAVELLED;

PREVIOUS_X_ACCEL = X_ACCEL;
  PREVIOUS_Y_ACCEL = Y_ACCEL;

}

You forgot:

accel = ["ASnative"](5,60);

OK...
Now we know that the accelerometer mounted in Chumby is not the 2-axis ADXL322 as mentioned in the schematics (there is no BOM), but it is instead the 3-axis ADXL330.

This affects the math in the following manner (and accounts for the error we were getting before)
When we calibrate our raw readings and attach them to a physical G value, we need to keep in mind that the accelerometer indicates at most +1g or -1g... The ADXL322 had a max range of 2g... but the accelerometer installed in Chumby has a much larger range of +-3.6g...

So For the X axis, a +1g reading of 2400 is normal and a -1g reading of 1600 is normal.
2000 is for zero g (90 degrees to the axis)...
We scale these numbers to read between -1 and +1 for multiplication with a constant: ACCELERATION_DUE_TO_G = 9.80665 meters/second^2
So - For a reading of 2g, we would read 2800 or 1200 on the accelerometer output and it would be scaled to +2 or -2.
SCALED_RAW_NUM = (RAW_NUM - 2000)/400 ;

This snippet of code has a routine that runs 60 times a second, automatically... 1.6KHz is the MAX bandwidth of the part, and it was designed for a bandwidth of 100Hz... If you change it, only go down to 10mS... but anything that will change more than 3.6g's in 10mS would probably destroy Chumby, anyways... wink

Bruce

ps - much of this code was re-used from the iAccelerate project and reported to Chumby FLASH... as well as the accelerometer example provided by Chumby folks

ACCELERATION_DUE_TO_G = 9.80665;
AIR_DENSITY_AT_AVG_TEMP = 1.225; // kg per m^3
FEET_PER_METER = 3.2808399;
FEET_PER_MILE = 5280.0;
POUNDS_PER_GALLON_OF_GAS = 6.25;
POUNDS_PER_KG = 2.20462262;
WATTS_PER_HORSEPOWER = 745.69987158227025;
SECONDS_IN_HOUR = 3600.0;

FrontalArea = 3.7; // m^2 - Frontal Area of you
DragCoefficient = 0.02; - Change this
Weight = (185*POUNDS_PER_KG); // in KG

//Init the 4 movie clips, 1 per line
createEmptyMovieClip("red_mc", 10);
red_mc.lineStyle(1, 0xff0000);
red_mc.moveTo(320,120);
createEmptyMovieClip("green_mc", 20);
green_mc.lineStyle(1, 0x00ff00);
green_mc.moveTo(320,120);
createEmptyMovieClip("blue_mc", 30);
blue_mc.lineStyle(1, 0x0000ff);
blue_mc.moveTo(320,120);
createEmptyMovieClip("yellow_mc", 40);
yellow_mc.lineStyle(1, 0xffff00);
yellow_mc.moveTo(320,120);

//Set currx, the current place where the mc's should be
currx = 320;

//init the accelerometer
_accelerometer = ["ASnative"](5,60);

//Create the data that would normally be accelerometer data

// Timing
//  If Velocity = Accel2 - Accel1 AND
//  If Accel    = Raw2   - Raw1
//  Lets sample at 200Hz and see how it works
delay = 5; // 200Hz
then = 0; //
oldX = 0;
isnewrun = 1;
numofiterations = 0;
totaltime = 0;
currentX = 1600;
sign = -1;
sine = 180;

function GetXData () {
  currentX = _accelerometer(2);

//currentX = Math.sin(sine*(Math.PI/180));
  //trace ("Sine = "+sine);
  //trace ("CurrentX(SIN) = "+currentX);
  //currentX = (currentX * 400) + 2000;
  //currentX = Math.round(currentX);
  //trace ("CurrentX = "+currentX);
  //sine = sine + sign;
  //if (sine == -90) {
        //sign = sign * -1
  //}
  //if (sine ==  90) {
        //sign = sign * -1
  //}

// ADXL330 runs +-3.6G...
  CurrentX = ((CurrentX - 2000)/400); 
  //trace ("CurrentX = "+currentX);
  TracecurrentX = (((currentX * 400) + 2000)/4)-375;
  //trace ("TracecurrentX = "+TracecurrentX);
  //trace (currentX);

// If first time through loop - init variable
  if (isnewrun == 1) {
      lastSpeed = 0;
      lastAcceleration = 0;
      lastDistance = 0;
      FirstAcceleration = currentX;
      isnewrun = 0;
  }

ChangeInAccel = currentX - FirstAcceleration;

gs = ChangeInAccel * ACCELERATION_DUE_TO_G;
  //trace ("Gs = "+gs);
  TracecurrentXAccel = (gs*14) + 115;
  numofiterations +=1;
  //trace ("numofiterations = "+numofiterations);
  totaltime += 0.016;
  //trace ("totaltime = "+totaltime);

// v=v0 + a*t
  // v(n) = v(n-1)+(a(n) + a(n-1))*(tbs)/2
  currentSpeed = lastSpeed + (((gs + lastAcceleration) * 0.016) / 2); //change in speed/change in time
  //trace ("currentSpeed = "+currentSpeed);
  TracecurrentXVelocity = (currentSpeed*4) + 114;
  SpeedInMPH = (currentSpeed * FEET_PER_METER) / FEET_PER_MILE * SECONDS_IN_HOUR;
  //trace ("SpeedInMPH = "+SpeedInMPH);

// d=v0*t + .5*a*t^2
  // d=.5(v2+v1)*t                                                                           
  // d(n) = d(n-1)+(v(n)+v(n-1))*(tbs)/2
  distanceTraveled = lastDistance + (((currentSpeed + lastSpeed) * 0.016) / 2);
  //trace ("distanceTraveled = "+distanceTraveled);
  distanceTravelledFeet = (distanceTraveled * FEET_PER_METER) / FEET_PER_MILE;
  //trace ("distanceTravelledFeet = "+distanceTravelledFeet);
  averageSpeed = distanceTraveled / totaltime;
  //trace ("averageSpeed = "+averageSpeed);
  AverageSpeedMPH = (averageSpeed * FEET_PER_METER) / FEET_PER_MILE * SECONDS_IN_HOUR
  //trace ("AverageSpeedMPH = "+AverageSpeedMPH);

TracecurrentXDistance = (distanceTraveled) +150;

// F=ma (Newtons)
  force = Weight * gs;
  //power = force*Distance/Time (Watts)
  power1 = force * currentSpeed;
  //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
  power2 = (AIR_DENSITY_AT_AVG_TEMP *
            Math.pow(currentSpeed, 3.0) *
            FrontalArea *
            DragCoefficient) / 2;
  currentPower = (power1 + power2) / WATTS_PER_HORSEPOWER;
  //trace ("currentPower = "+currentPower);

lastSpeed = currentSpeed;
  lastAcceleration = gs;
  lastDistance = distanceTraveled;
}

setInterval( GetXData, 16 ); //(60Hz)

//Update every frame
   //Move the mc's over one
    red_mc._x -= 1;
    green_mc._x -= 1;
    blue_mc._x -= 1;
    yellow_mc._x -= 1;

currx++;
    //Add next point
    red_mc.lineTo(currx, TracecurrentX);
    green_mc.lineTo(currx, TracecurrentXAccel);
    //green_mc.lineTo(currx, 0);
    blue_mc.lineTo(currx, TracecurrentXVelocity);
    //blue_mc.lineTo(currx, 0);
    yellow_mc.lineTo(currx, TracecurrentXDistance);
    //yellow_mc.lineTo(currx, 0);
}

19 (edited by kein 2007-09-08 01:42:14)

Hi bboettjer?
I'm currently trying to `calibrate  +-adxl330 accelerometer and have found this forum to have some useful infos. Just curious with regard to the following discussion from bboettjer:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"For the X Axis
((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/2g = sensitivity
(2400-1600)/2 = 400/g
(The 2 is because we are at +1g@2400 and -1g@1600, encompassing a full 2g)"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Isn't the sensitivity equal to ((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/6g instead of ((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/2g for +-3g adxl330 accelerometer?

The followings are reading  and calibration procedure done for data from adxl330: Because I'm not sure of the correct formula for the sensitivity, my calculations are really going to be wrong. What I'm really interested in is to be able to get correct reading for acceleration. Please help me.
I'm intending to use my accelerometer for vibration reading and later perform further data analysis.

Please provide me with better calibration procedure for all the three axis(x,y,z) using my values(the provided values below).
Thanks you

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've to correct the other values to be(for x-axis):
--------------------------------------------------
voltage/0gADCCounts=1.65/652 =0.002530675

- For an Accelerometer reading of  805, the real voltage measured is (805 x 0.002530675) = 2.04V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  652, the real voltage measured is (652 x 0.002530675) = 1.65V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  523, the real voltage measured is (523 x 0.002530675) = 1.32V

I've to correct the other values to be(for Y-axis):
voltage/0gADCCounts=1.65/675 = 0.002444444

- For an Accelerometer reading of  812, the real voltage measured is (812 x 0.002444444) = 1.98V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  675, the real voltage measured is (675 x 0.002444444) = 1.65V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  523, the real voltage measured is (523 x 0.002444444) = 1.28V

I've to correct the other values to be(for Z-axis):

voltage/0gADCCounts=1.65/675 = 0.002462697

- For an Accelerometer reading of  803, the real voltage measured is (803 x 0.002462697) = 1.98V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  670, the real voltage measured is (670 x 0.002462697) = 1.65V
   - For an accelerometer reading of  530, the real voltage measured is (530 x 0.002462697) = 1.31V

for x-axis:
((ADC_max X value) - (ADC_min X Value))/6g = sensitivity
(805 - 523) / 6 =47/g

for y-axis:
((ADC_max_X_value) - (ADC_min_X_Value))/6g = sensitivity
(812 - 523) / 6 = 48.2/g

for z-axis:
((ADC_max_Z_value) - (ADC_min_Z_Value))/6g = sensitivity
(803 - 530) / 6 = 45.5/g
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Are

Thanks

20 (edited by Squeeey 2008-01-10 04:01:57)

kein wrote:

Isn't the sensitivity equal to ((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/6g instead of ((Max X value) - (Min X Value))/2g for +-3g adxl330 accelerometer?

Sensitivity is equal to (Known Max X value - Known Min X value) / (G-distance between the Known X values).
Because an acc. stands in relation  to the gravity, you can turn his axis in line with the floor to get the 1g responce.
Or vice versa for the -1g responce.

So I have for the ADXL330 :

Known X value = 1,62 V @ 0g
Known Min X value = 1,28 V @ 1g
Known Max X value = 1,96 V @ -1g

(1,62 V - 1,28V) / 1g  = 0,34 V/g or
(1,96 V - 1,28V) / 2g = 0,34 V/g

I hope that helps wink