Topic: Huge New Update soon?

Was reading this article about chumby on the NY times web site (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/1 … th-chumby/)

The chumby ceo posted a reply to the article and said
"All I can say at this point is stay tuned — the chumby is about to change really dramatically and become greatly enhanced very soon."

Sounds good, but the time frame is pretty ambiguous. Could mean this month or next summer

Any chumbies want to comment?

Re: Huge New Update soon?

Steve Tomlin has mentioned this update quite a few times. Since the device is now public, my guess is the next big update will e VERY soon.
You can read some of Steve's comments on this thread dealing with internet radio (which is supposed to be a feature in the next OTA)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Stay tuned to the Forum -- because, given the state of things and the very early, truly beta state of this new functionality, this will be the only place we talk about it.  Consider it an "Easter Egg Release" :^)  Will happen in about a week.  But, again, only for those who want to live on the edge and are willing to deal with and help report bugs.

So... for those willing to walk their chumby through the dark caverns of beta testing... will there be a way to revert back to the stable firmware in case it gets too scary in there? wink

markf wrote:

So... for those willing to walk their chumby through the dark caverns of beta testing... will there be a way to revert back to the stable firmware in case it gets too scary in there? wink

The stuff we'll be testing shouldn't require a firmware update.

Bugs don't scare me. Neither does living on the edge.
Microsoft scares me a bit, but I manage to cope with that daily.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thanks for giving us the info we were looking for.

-John Forsythe
www.jforsythe.com

I'm scared of paper bags and that thing on the Zoloft commercial...

But updates don't scare me neither. In fact, I like things to bust so I can get a better idea how they work. smile

shoe

thanks for being so open and forthcoming with the information!

Did this HUGE update ever happen?

robdam1001 wrote:

Did this HUGE update ever happen?

Not final, however, you might notice there's a new "Beta Software" version of the forum, where we're publicly testing new functionality.

When the it becomes publicly released as "final", (no longer in beta), will it download automatically?  will we be notified of the release otherwise?  Thanks!

This current beta is for the Control Panel, which is downloaded automatically every time the chumby is booted, so there's nothing the user needs to do.

Duane wrote:

This current beta is for the Control Panel, which is downloaded automatically every time the chumby is booted, so there's nothing the user needs to do.

Okey Dokey   (I LOVE my Chumby!)

Duane wrote:

So does this mean that if our Chumby just happily sits on a table running, day after day, without ever needing to be rebooted, that we should, in fact, force it to reboot just in case there's a software update??

What is the basic time frame for the next update and when will the Chumby be sent out en'mass?

CES is about here does Chumby have any sort of preview that we can have?
It would be cool
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.