Topic: It's a touchscreen...emulate an ipod wheel? (audiophiles please read)

So, I saw this neat set-up in my friend's car where she had one of those slide & flip dvd player hoopajoos (everyone knows what i'm talking about) and she had a ipod-dedicated cable for it.  When i hooked up my iPod, it went to "do not disconnect" mode. Anywho, here's the cool part: i realized the flip-out dvd screen was a touchscreen, and it displayed the contents of my ipod and an ipod wheel.  All i had to do was use the scroll wheel on the display to pick out a song.  I would love to see this developed for chumby, because I'm a huge audiophile and it takes me forever to scroll through my 60 something gigs of music as it is.

Re: It's a touchscreen...emulate an ipod wheel? (audiophiles please read)

Well, it's definitely possible, but I have a feeling that there might be a better way for dealing with reams of music like that...

I mean, it's a touch screen - there are a ton of options. Things like coverflow, zooming interfaces, tagging, you name it.

I'd just like to be able to pick individual songs, artists, or albums... smile

4 (edited by D4G 2007-12-31 19:15:28)

Since this seemed to apply to something I made a flash iPod like 2 years ago. It was mainly a proof of concept to see how close I could make an iPod emulator for whatever reasons at the time I stopped work on it. Now with classes and other various improvements to flash and iPod emulator could be made a 100 times better than before but I'll leave it to someone else. I will however provide how I made the scroll wheel. Picture a doughnut and then cut that doughnut into pieces like you would a pizza. Now turn those pieces into buttons. Once you have the buttons and have named them like button1 button2 the code because easy. If your moving from button1 to button2 then your moving down the list and from button2 to button1 then your going up the list. So there you go you can take a look at the actual end result HERE and maybe if im bored Ill make an iPod class. lol yeah right.

On the ipod emulator you can use the iPod wheel or select the actual item. To go back press menu and to select an item using the thumb wheel its of course the middle button. Have fun with it.