Topic: Would You Recommend This Mod/Hack?

I am not that advanced when it comes to hardware and software, so I have been searching for a Chumby mod/hack that I can do myself with very simple and easy to read instructions. I incidentally found this project on Popular Science that enables you to convert your Chumby to battery power. Please be aware that I have not purchased a Chumby yet because it's not portable. With this mod I am hoping to make that possible, and eventually persuade myself to purchase one. So anyways, would you recommend this mod? It involves scrapping the leather casing and I don't know about squeeze sensors. Are they squeeze sensors important, are they no longer usable after this hack is done?

http://popsci.typepad.com/how20blog/200 … oject.html

The URL is listed above, please tell me your thoughts and opinions. Thank you for your time and patience.  I am only 13 years old and I am sorry if I seem ignorant of some things.

Re: Would You Recommend This Mod/Hack?

In my personal opinion, the current best bet to make your chumby portable is the advice in this thread.

One of our guys (Ken) managed to get this battery into the current chumby enclosure - and with a few extra wires, has the thing lasting at least 3 hours with an external connector for hooking up the DC power.

Duane wrote:

In my personal opinion, the current best bet to make your chumby portable is the advice in this thread.

One of our guys (Ken) managed to get this battery into the current chumby enclosure - and with a few extra wires, has the thing lasting at least 3 hours with an external connector for hooking up the DC power.

http://snapfoo.com/images/posted/9549219-12122007145132.jpg

Seems a lot easier. Thanks. big_smile

Is there an actual guide on how to install this battery, however?

No, and, frankly, we simply can't take an official position on the use of this battery, which is why I posted my "personal opinion", something I want to reiterate here.

This falls under "hacker stuff" and is done entirely at your own risk.  We cannot be held liable for the many possible things that may go wrong with putting something like this in your chumby.

If you have to ask the question, then you probably shouldn't be doing it - this is potentially very dangerous stuff. These things can start fires that can't be put out.