Topic: PortaChumby: Li-Ion Battery, Mayhaps?

Is it possible to install a DC to DC converter to a lithium ion battery without compromising the standard chumby case?  Also, I'm not sure exactly how much power the chumby consumes so I'm looking for a suggestion to how large the li-ion battery should be. Would an ipod battery suffice or would it have to be something larger?

I know a DC-DC converter only runs for about 20 dollars, so it would be relatively affordable.  Also, if I were to do this, would it be simple to create a battery meter for it?

Hit me with some feedback....

Re: PortaChumby: Li-Ion Battery, Mayhaps?

Wal-Marx wrote:

Is it possible to install a DC to DC converter to a lithium ion battery without compromising the standard chumby case?  Also, I'm not sure exactly how much power the chumby consumes so I'm looking for a suggestion to how large the li-ion battery should be. Would an ipod battery suffice or would it have to be something larger?

I know a DC-DC converter only runs for about 20 dollars, so it would be relatively affordable.  Also, if I were to do this, would it be simple to create a battery meter for it?

I wouldn't recommend a DC-DC converter at all.  Put your money into a good RC battery pack and charger.

A 3-cell Lithium Polymer battery would work perfectly, as they usually store between 11.1 and 12.6 volts (Google around, hobby stores like Horizon Hobby carry these for RC planes and helicopters).  No DC-DC converter needed.  A balance charger might be a good idea.  Li-Polys have excellent energy density to weight ratios.  The only thing you have to watch out for is over-discharging them (well, that and explosions smile ).  If you're worried about that, try to find some A123 batteries on Ebay (Lithium Iron nanophosphate), that can be discharged down to zero volts without harm... but they're still expensive and hard to find.  NiMH batteries work ok, but they're heavy in my opinion.

As to whether any of these battery types will fit in the case really depends on how long you want to run it (larger capacities = larger batteries).  A 1320 mAh 3-cell pack would probably fit ok and last a few hours (I don't know what the power drain of a Chumby is though).

Re: PortaChumby: Li-Ion Battery, Mayhaps?

Thanks so much! I'll take this into consideration.  I'm planning to make a new case using a Domo Kun cube plush toy.  It's 5x5x5, so I think I'll be able to fit a fairly large battery.