Topic: Try all the SSIDs

When I move from work to home and back again, Chumby always asks me which network to connect to which seems like a lot of extra button pressing for almost nothing.  Could it just try each and connect to one?

Like first:
- Try my pre approved AP first.
- Try to connect to any open AP it finds.
- Upon failure prompt for what to do.

Then in the control panel somewhere, give the ability to change how and which AP it connected to?

Re: Try all the SSIDs

It can take as much as two minutes to timeout an attempt to connect to an access point - rather than have it churn though all of these possibilities, taking up several minutes, we try the configured one then ask for intervention.

The law is also a bit gray about what happens if you connect to an arbitrary open access point without permission.  Despite what we all would think of as common sense (it's open and beaconing, must be open for connections, WiFi is an unregulated band, etc), folks have been arrested and hauled off to jail over it.  Not  sure we'd want to take on the liability until that issue is cleared up.

Well, yes I can see the legalities you're trying to avoid, but is there any way to quickly see if one or the other access point (on my pre approved list) worked before waiting for it to time out?  Or with a little work more intelligence, if a SSID is being broadcast and is on my list, Chumby should try it first, then time out and try the next on my pre approved list.  Then it could prompt me if none of them worked.  Because I, the user, made a conscience decision to tell it to connect to those APs first, it should help avoid the legal issues.

I'd just like to get to the point, where I can have it power on and then I can ignore it and have it connect without user intervention fro me.

I'll pass this on to Ken.

jhaluska wrote:

Or with a little work more intelligence, if a SSID is being broadcast and is on my list, Chumby should try it first, then time out and try the next on my pre approved list.  Then it could prompt me if none of them worked.

This is a feature that I would really like. There are times that I am taking my Chumby along to work or friends and family and they have unique access points. It makes sense to have the ability to use the knowledge that it has already and try to avoid doing a chunk of the setup each time.

Also if you had it connect to an open AP automagically there should be some sort of confirmation screen that asks a yes or no to authorized the connection. It takes Chumby more off of the legal hook I would think.