Topic: Picasa Media Player Beta supports private albums

I have added support for private albums for the Picasa Media Player but I am looking for a few volunteers to help try out the beta version before I roll it out into the existing widget.

If you have some unlisted/private Picasa albums and you would like to help, add "jvcleave" as a chum and I will send you the beta version.

If you have any issues either report here or email jvcleave@gmail.com.

Re: Picasa Media Player Beta supports private albums

OK, I've added you as a "chum".  I'm happy to help since I started the whole "Where is Picassa Web?" thing back in the "early days".

thanks, you should have received it

I've added you. Looking forward to testing private albums.

Thanks.

J

OK, my first try was not so good.  Chumby looks to be stuck loading the album.  I'm going to go get some breakfast and see if he ever comes back from the "white screen".

OK, got back from breakfast and it was still hung.  I got out of that channel, loaded another and got back into the channel.  All is well now. 

jvc - Any test case scenarios that you would like me to run through?  Also, what is the security aspect of taking the cut and paste approach for url?  I.E. Hackabilty and longevity.  I'm wondering if Picasa will revoke at some point.

I think there was a hiccup earlier as I it was having problems on my private and public one, it seems to be okay now. And my private tests all have worked well (photos only).

Can you describe the limitations of how big or what content we should be putting in albums? IE, Limit on the amount of pictures and total size? If that matters? Or describe how you are loading the photos or pre-caching?

While you are in beta mode, I'd like to offer some interface enhancements, and I know some of these could be difficult.

I love that you put in a tap to advanced to the next frame - I'd like to see this more advanced like the college humor widget, where you pull with your finger left or right to get to the next or previous one. This is probobly more realistic then the next one, because of pre-caching and image size, etc.

Even better would be the Babe-a-lizer where there is a bar at the bottom where you can zoom in and pan, very nifty. Maybe as an option under the 'customize' when configuring the widget to have the bar appear when you tap.

Nonetheless, This is fantastic work you have done thus far and you should really be proud of yourself for putting this together.  Thanks for all the time and effort you put into it!

Jesse

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately you both started using the widget around the same time the XML server went down. This is why you were caught on the white screen.

gtm170

jvc - Any test case scenarios that you would like me to run through?  Also, what is the security aspect of taking the cut and paste approach for url?  I.E. Hackabilty and longevity.  I'm wondering if Picasa will revoke at some point.

The big test case scenario for me is that you both were able to add your private albums. I was hoping that the process made sense.
This approach of cutting and pasting the url is the same for the rest of Picasa albums. Picasa doesn't really have "private" albums. This is why they use the term "unlisted". If  someone has the url to an unlisted album they can access it without a google account.

What I am using from the url is the authkey which is how google lets you send these albums to friends without making them public. As for longevity Google has told me that the authkey won't change as long as the album exists or hasn't been renamed.

JKing3

Can you describe the limitations of how big or what content we should be putting in albums? IE, Limit on the amount of pictures and total size? If that matters? Or describe how you are loading the photos or pre-caching?

I am loading the XML feed, cutting it up into photo urls and shuffling them if that option is enabled. It then begins downloading the pictures and starts once 2 photos have been loaded. It will download the rest in batches of 5 in the background. I am using the larger thumbnail that Picasa provides so I you have to worry about the size of your originals.

I believe the album limitation will eventually come in the size of the feed URL. It's was still fairly pretty quick with 100+ photos but thats been the biggest album I have tested with.

I'll check out the other widgets/features you mentioned. I think if I add any more interaction with the photos I want to try an use the accelerometer

Thanks for the feedback - it helps a lot.

I've had the Picasa beta widget hang after about an hour of continuous use twice.  The album I'm viewing has about 25 pictures.  The widget rolls through all of them several times then hangs.

Let me know if I'm the only one experiencing such, I will pay closer attention to try and get more deets.

10 (edited by jvc 2007-12-01 23:13:08)

is this an unlisted album or public? If you could send me a link to the album it would help.

you can email it to jvcleave@gmail.com if you don't want to post it here

//Edit - it looks like my host is having response issues, I have submitted a ticket so hopefully it will clear up. I will look into a method of  shutting down the widget if the response time gets too slow.

I have an unlisted album and would test your beta widget if you still are looking for testers.  Thanks for the widget.

(|-|U/\/\B'/    0\/\/|\|Z

jvc - Must have been your host.  I left it running yesterday for at least 8 hours and not even a hiccup.  Excellent work sir! 

Thanks, GTM

iRiE - yes , I am. I have sent it

works great,  thanks again.

(|-|U/\/\B'/    0\/\/|\|Z

jvc,

I would also be interested in trying this widget. I have tried the Flickr widget and for some reason it is only showing 5 photos. I only want to show a few dozen phots, but the same five keep showing up and cycling through.

Thanks

-HuckFinn

no problem, i sent it over

jvc

Thanks it works great. I do have a question for you though. How can I move a widget that you sent me into a different channel? Also if I want multiple instances of your Load Image widget is there a way to copy it?

Thanks for your help!

-HuckFinn

please send me the beta --jremsen

thanks

Just a data point -- I have it set as the only widget in a channel, and after a while it's frozen on one image and no longer responds to drag events. It seems to only take a few minutes to get in that state. The control panel still comes up, but the widget remains stuck. Of course that might be a bug in some lower layer. The use of the touch screen to flick between images is very nice BTW.

nparlante are you talking about "picasa web albums" or "picasa media player"? The reason I ask is Picasa Media Player (my widget) doesn't do anything with drag events. Chumby Inc's Picasa Web albums does however.

Was this ever released?  I hate the idea of making my google photos public.

TIA