Re: Fix for Weather NULL,NULL issue on theme screens - August 31, 2023.

One other odd behavior is that I select locations for time/weather but the Dash then changes them to nearby locations.  For example, if I choose Boston, it changes to Brookline, and Taipei changes to Panchiao.  I tried removing and re-selecting the locations and the same thing happens.  Sacramento, though, stays Sacramento, even though the temperatures are still off (high) by almost 10F.

The service we're using doesn't really have city IDs the way Accuweather did, so the way this works is the when you do a city lookup, I get the lat/long of the location and store it.  When the weather is subsequently requested, I send the lat/long to the service and it returns the weather data, including the city name.

It's possible that that the lat/long I'm getting from them is the location of the nearest active weather station, which may be in those nearby cities.

yasbean wrote:

Have others been getting rather high high temperature forecasts since this new control panel fix?  My Dash forecast has been 100 F for weeks even though it should be in the low 90s to high 80s.

On the other hand, I have found that the new weather feed's forecast temperatures for Sydney are consistently about 3 degrees C lower than those from other sources.
I've tried a range of locations that equate to the various weather stations around Sydney and settled on one that is further from the coast and therefore generally warmer in summer than is my actual location. I may need to revisit this decision in winter, when I would expect this location to be colder than where I am.

So I have been seeing the "Null Null" on my Dash for some time now and I figured that they were finally reaching their end of life and I should break down and buy something new. 

I mean I think I bought my Sony Dash back around 2010 or so and the idea that an electrical item would finally fail 13 years later isn't a big surprise. 

I really only use mine for the Alarm Clock and with Black Friday Deals being what they are I picked up a couple of Amazon Show 5.  I didn't even get the box open before I noticed how small they really are so I came here to see if there was a fix for the Null Null Problem and I was happy to see that Duane had fixed this issue!

Since my faithful Dash is back and working fully again,  I will likely gift or return the Amazon Shows!

Thanks Again Duane.

55 (edited by zebraitis 2023-12-22 06:44:42)

December 2023. 

13 years after the launch of the Dash product.
7 years after Sony abandoned the Dash... 

And here we are.

First, thank you Duane with the updated weather load and instructions, I have functionality.

Second, thank you @pet2001 for the directions on how to recover the Sony 5 day weather view.

Still the best darned internet connected alarm clock.

Again, thanks folks, for keeping my 3 Dash units running!

56 (edited by Jim1348 2023-12-24 12:37:29)

I did the update successfully.

I went in to the menu and selected Clock/Weather and it "remembered" the cities I had selected in the past.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks Duane,
I'm finally getting around to updating-
Love being able to se weather again!

Thought it was about time to do this, and it worked perfectly. Thanks, Duane!!