Re: Weather app …..

Duane wrote:

I think I found this issue, please reboot again.

Yes, that has fixed Last Updated: null.
And also, the previous feed did show a Last Updated time.

Duane wrote:

I think I found this issue, please reboot again.

Yep, you did!  All fixed.  No reboot needed.  Thanks, Duane!

78 (edited by eastdiamond 2023-09-04 13:48:18)

I finally got it to work for me! My problem was relearning winscp and then not knowing I had to "rename" the controlpanel_4.10.3b1.swf file. Once I removed the "_4.10.3b1" and changed the permissions to match the old controlpanel file, I was good to go. Thanks for your efforts Duane ! We are happy to be able to see the weather where our family is spread out in the USA on our 3 Dashes.

Edit: final version of controlpanel.swf installed on 3 dashes without problems smile

I have released the production version of the Control Panel for the new weather feed, please see the main thread to install:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=58885#p58885

I found a couple of rain-related conditions that would fail to get the icon, should be fixed now (only server affected).

Devices should react to the change within 2 hours.

Transferred the new controlpanel with WinSCP.
Everything looks fine. Even the weather at a german location.
:-)

The morning weather report is back in the bathroom. YEAH!

Excellent work Duane!

Happy wife, happy life.

THX

Just got back from a trip and tried it. Works beautifully, thanks Duane!

Duane. Thank you, again, very much for this fix.  Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what weather service does it now use and how often is the weather data updated?

I'm using a service from OPLAO, I don't know the update rate - however, I limit it to at least 15 minutes because I cache responses on our servers to keep the API call rate down to prevent blowing out the rate caps.

The new service provides more data than we actually use, but the goal here was to transform it to a feed identical to the Accuweather feed to get everything running without forcing deeper software changes that would render most of the themes obsolete.

Is there a URL for the service that we are using now?

The service we're using only provides an API - they don't have a user-facing weather web site.  To use the API requires a subscription and an API key.  We're also caching data on our servers to reduce the call rate to the serve to keep the costs down.