1 (edited by jhonryan 2017-08-10 06:12:35)

Topic: Option requests

Is there a "suggestion box" or a chumby.com method of requesting or suggesting features?

Also, what about "bug" reports? 

A few possible bugs:

o  I *THINK* if I interact with a widget on the LCARS theme that it becomes PINNED without indicating it's pinned.   I had thought a few other things may be causing it but I was able to re-crate this a few times yesterday so I think that's the cause

o The My Photos option (from the menu, not from the screen) doesn't appear to work as expected.  I can see pics I've loaded on USB but I cannot "play" them or "select" them.  Nor does changing orientation remembered or have any effect on "photos" from the main LCARS "photo" button.

These are minor and honestly, I doubt I'll be playing photos with my dash or using LCARS much (now that drexful updated his links with the correct theme links), but thought you'd like to know.

Features:

Can the themes selector include listing user themes?  Say, on the USB drive in a folder called "themes"?   And apply them much the same way as selecting the subscriber themes?  Such that it doesn't require a reboot?   

Thanks!

Re: Option requests

jhonryan wrote:

Can the themes selector include listing user themes?  Say, on the USB drive in a folder called "themes"?   And apply them much the same way as selecting the subscriber themes?  Such that it doesn't require a reboot?   

Thanks!

At this point, there's not a way to add "user" themes, but perhaps soon.

In the meantime, copy your theme over and killall chumbyflashplayer.x

Also, thank you for starting a new topic for this.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: Option requests

diamaunt wrote:

At this point, there's not a way to add "user" themes, but perhaps soon.

In the meantime, copy your theme over and killall chumbyflashplayer.x

Perfect!  Thanks!

Re: Option requests

Startup screen:

Add a timeout (say, 1 or 2 minutes) which automagically selects "continue" if nothing is pressed.  Helpful for these power-unstable times.

Re: Option requests

Which "continue" button is that?

Re: Option requests

Duane wrote:

Which "continue" button is that?

I THINK he's refering to the USB dongle with the chumbifying software still on it.    If you've installed it already you get a "continue" button at the bottom.

Simple solution:  put in a different USB thumb drive without the software but has anything else you want on it (mp3s, for example)

Re: Option requests

jhonryan wrote:
Duane wrote:

Which "continue" button is that?

I THINK he's refering to the USB dongle with the chumbifying software still on it.    If you've installed it already you get a "continue" button at the bottom.

Simple solution:  put in a different USB thumb drive without the software but has anything else you want on it (mp3s, for example)

Right, the update software is only needed when you first install (or update to a newer version when they come out).  the USB drive can be removed after the chumby patch has been installed.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: Option requests

diamaunt wrote:
jhonryan wrote:
Duane wrote:

Which "continue" button is that?

I THINK he's refering to the USB dongle with the chumbifying software still on it.    If you've installed it already you get a "continue" button at the bottom.

Simple solution:  put in a different USB thumb drive without the software but has anything else you want on it (mp3s, for example)

Right, the update software is only needed when you first install (or update to a newer version when they come out).  the USB drive can be removed after the chumby patch has been installed.

Yeah that must be it.  I have a tiny USB drive which fits with the "door" closed in there with themes and other content I've been playing with via SSH but the Chumby seeds are also still on there.  I'll move them and that should take care of the problem.  Thanks!

Re: Option requests

If you're considering "requests", when time permits would it possible on the "Space" theme to select EITHER weather OR time, and stop the cycling back & forth, or have the cycling as a 3rd option?

Thanks!

Re: Option requests

Is there any way that we can get to use Pandora music again?

Re: Option requests

stclevine wrote:

Is there any way that we can get to use Pandora music again?

I think I read here somewhere earlier that Pandora probably won't be back, I believe it was a licensing issue?
Anybody - please correct me if I'm wrong, as I love to see it back too.

Re: Option requests

oldguy wrote:
stclevine wrote:

Is there any way that we can get to use Pandora music again?

I think I read here somewhere earlier that Pandora probably won't be back, I believe it was a licensing issue?
Anybody - please correct me if I'm wrong, as I love to see it back too.


On Chumbys? I just tried (8:20pm, August 17th) one of mine, and Pandora works just fine.

Re: Option requests

On Chumbys? I just tried (8:20pm, August 17th) one of mine, and Pandora works just fine.

Not on a Chumby, a Dash.

Re: Option requests

oldguy wrote:

On Chumbys? I just tried (8:20pm, August 17th) one of mine, and Pandora works just fine.

Not on a Chumby, a Dash.

Oh, ok. Sorry to hear that.

Re: Option requests

Firstly, Thank you Duane for the hard work you put in. From my expectations, the end result was amazing. One request, any way we could put in alarms with music from a usb? I don't use the radios because I want to make sure if my home goes offline, I'll still be able to wake up.


Also more unrealistic request: Spotify, way to change wallpaper in themes

Re: Option requests

I really only have 1 request. Could we please have a check box that allows us the option to restore the sony logo once the Dash has finished booting. I've been looking at this thing for a lot of years and it looks strange without the logo there. Or if you can point me to the line of code that disables the logo that would be helpful as well. Cheers!

Re: Option requests

Is it possible to start a webserver and upload some script to control ChumbyDash remotely ? For example to start playing some stream as part of home automation ?
I tried all methods from https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title=Chumby_tricks, but have no luck to start webserver on Dash

Re: Option requests

webcrew wrote:

Is it possible to start a webserver and upload some script to control ChumbyDash remotely ? For example to start playing some stream as part of home automation ?
I tried all methods from https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title=Chumby_tricks, but have no luck to start webserver on Dash

https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title … web_server

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: Option requests

Yep, already did it, but still can't remotely start stream from ssh.

I created script kcrw.sh

#!/bin/sh
echo "HTTP/1.1 200 ok"
echo "Content-type:  text/html"
echo ""
echo "<event type=\"UserPlayer\" value=\"play\" comment=\"http://kcrw.streamguys1.com/kcrw_128k_aac_e24_itunes/\"/>" > /tmp/flashplayer.event
chumbyflashplayer.x -F1 > /dev/null 2>&1
echo ""
echo ""
echo "Now playing KCRW24"

Uploaded it to root@192.168.1.200:/psp/cgi-bin/kcrw.sh
But when i try to start it via SSH or via browser - i only see message "Now playing KCRW24", but no actions on Chumby

Re: Option requests

You're attempting to use the "Sending events to the Control Panel" mechanism from the "Chumby tricks" page on the wiki.

Each documented "trick" has a row of icons that indicates which devices support it.  The dash icon is not there for that trick so it won't work for that device.

I may be able to support that particular trick at some point, but it's not there in the current software.

Re: Option requests

Duane wrote:

You're attempting to use the "Sending events to the Control Panel" mechanism from the "Chumby tricks" page on the wiki.

Each documented "trick" has a row of icons that indicates which devices support it.  The dash icon is not there for that trick so it won't work for that device.

I may be able to support that particular trick at some point, but it's not there in the current software.

Maybe the Insignia 8 looks a bit like a Dash in thumbnail form?

Re: Option requests

jhonryan wrote:

Maybe the Insignia 8 looks a bit like a Dash in thumbnail form?

The Insignia 8 isn't in the list of thumbnail icons for that functionality either smile

Re: Option requests

jhonryan wrote:
Duane wrote:

You're attempting to use the "Sending events to the Control Panel" mechanism from the "Chumby tricks" page on the wiki.

Each documented "trick" has a row of icons that indicates which devices support it.  The dash icon is not there for that trick so it won't work for that device.

I may be able to support that particular trick at some point, but it's not there in the current software.

Maybe the Insignia 8 looks a bit like a Dash in thumbnail form?

How 'bout now?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: Option requests

diamaunt wrote:

How 'bout now?

I was thinking maybe "alt" tags and mouse-overs might be more helpful -- but I think once folks notice the "facing right" vs. "facing left" of the infocast there won't be any confusion... 

Thanks!