Duane wrote: sjpackage wrote:
Diamaunt: I've done exactly -- EXACTLY -- as you advised in your email this afternoon (Tue., July 25).
THE. DEVICE. STILL. DOES. NOT. WORK.
While I can be respectful -- to a point -- I really resent the implication that I'm somehow the problem.
There is a chance that your device is somehow behaving differently than the others we've run into so far.
One question - have you *ever* used the USB port on this device, either for a manual firmware update or to play music, photos or videos? If not, maybe the issue is that the USB port is, and has always been, nonfunctional on this device.
If Sony made a change in the last week, we have not been able to independently confirm it. The "1604" is actually build number automatically generated by the build system when the image is build, so a new build *should* have a different number. Given how the build system works, it's actually very tough to override that, but I suppose it's possible.
Unfortunately, if the installed firmware is indeed different, or your machine is simply not recognizing the USB port in addition to the touchscreen issues, we have no other method to unbrick it. Sorry about that.
Hello again Duane,
Again, at the outset, let me clear -- I'm grateful to you. Diamaunt and others in this forum for the help and suggestions. I'm very clear: Sony -- and only Sony -- is the bad guy here. If Sony could spend less time making tired Spiderman movies -- and spend more time on actual customer service -- then I think we'd all be better off.
There are two baffling aspects about this:
1. I have two, apparently identical Dashes. Why did one get the 1604 update and works just fine as a decent
alarm clock -- while the other got the same update and has been nothing but problems?
2. On Sun., July 16 -- the day after you uploaded your software -- I used a Sandisk 4 GB USB stick (with a
one-half square inch flashing light) to relay your software to the problem Dash. Granted, I used a method
slightly different than what you advised -- but it worked.
On Sat., July 22, I chose to move the device to another room. Upon plugging the unit it, the device loaded
1526 software -- and, of course, asked for the 1604 update. Yes, I now know I should have skipped it.
Instead, I chose to accept it -- in the hope that the device would load the same version of 1604 software
that my good device received. Instead, I received Never Ending Headache Software.
That night -- using the same, flashing Sandisk USB stick -- I tried the same combination, and in the same
manner, that worked July 16. When that failed, I tried the exact method you prescribed the day before.
In recent days -- with Diamaunt's aid -- I've tried honing that effort. Still, nothing has worked.
I'm very hopeful that Chumby can salvage a nifty little device Sony gave up on way too soon.