Topic: Is there an app to use as a Dash alternative?

I am extremely sad about the current state of the Sony Dash, and hope that someone will be able to find a way to revive it is some form.  In the meantime, does anyone know of an app that would replicate some of the functions of the Dash?

It seems like there should be an app that works in Android's Daydream mode (now called "screensaver" in newer versions of Android) that would display clock / weather / news the way Dash did.  However I can not find it, if it exists.

"Flipbook" will display beautiful news headlines, but no weather or time.

"Daydream Widgets" will do some of this, but I haven't been able to find a good collection of news/weather/clock widgets to use with it.

Just wondered if anyone knows of an app that will allow an old tablet to sit on my kitchen counter and offer some of the functionality of the Sony Dash.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Re: Is there an app to use as a Dash alternative?

We used to have an Android application that did most of the widget/app functionality of the chumby, however, Adobe stopped supporting Flash Player on Android, which the application relied upon.

In the unlikely case that you have some old Android device lying around that might have Flash Player on it, I believe the application is still in Google Play Store, and it's still supported by the chumby service.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll look for it.

As an update... I'm using the Android Daydream screen saver running Daydream Widgets.  It rotates through the following widgets:
1 Weather Clock
APW Twitter
Bundle News
Flipboard
Google Play Newsstand
NewsTab
Palabre

I have also been looking at an app called RollOnBy which does a nice job of displaying recent Twitter posts.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions for an app that will display news on an Android/iPad screen.

A further update... I found an app called DAKboard in the Google Play store that turns an android tablet into a nice looking desk clock with weather / news.   

Not a perfect substitute, but a good start.

Don't throw out your dashes yet.

Good news on the horizon.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane wrote:

... In the unlikely case that you have some old Android device lying around that might have Flash Player on it, I believe the application is still in Google Play Store, and it's still supported by the chumby service.

I found an ancient tablet [Vizio VTAB1008] with flash installed, but can't find the Chumby app in the Play store. I did find it in the Amazon app store. And downloadable from http://chumby-lite.soft112.com/ but not sure if it's legit.

Yeah, but I think it's an old one.

I can send you an apk of the current version if you like.

I may have pulled the app out of the Google Store at some point, I don't recall.

Downloaded and installed version 1.3.13. It's running, but not well.

I've had my fun. Putting the tablet back in the e-waste bin.