Topic: Sony doublespeak

I had complained to Sony support via an email that they had bricked my dash... and in their reply they said:

"Current technology has surpassed the technology of your device. We're glad that you enjoyed your dash device, but it's obsolete at this time. Most people use their cell phone for audio and visual content."

(They conveniently ignored the fact that they bricked it unnecessarily and through their incompetence.)

But more importantly, apparently we all missed the boat... we aren't with it because real people use their cell phones to display the time in their homes and offices, view the weather forecast at a glance, or wake them up in the morning.

The great thing is that Sony has let us in on a big secret... products like the Amazon Show... and even the Sony BSP60! are destined to fail.  People won't use these things, they will use their cell phones.  Short Amazon stock!

Re: Sony doublespeak

I tried the exact same tactic, and I got the exact same result - a canned reply message:

"We have researched with our resources and we would like to let you know that the current technology has surpassed the technology of your device.  We're glad that you enjoyed your dash device, but it's obsolete at this time.  Most people use their cell phone for audio and visual content.  In order to help your transition off of your dash device, we offer you either an ICF-C! [sic] FM/AM Clock Radio, or an SRS-XB10 Portable Wireless Speaker, as an accommodation due to the dash device being terminated."

I am entertained that they couldn't even get the model number correct for the clock radio (ICF-C1).

Or, the simple fact that the whole message is a hypocrisy, because to ease my transition from my "obsolete" technology they are offering a $20 dumb clock radio without any internet capability.  The wireless speaker is a nice gesture, but seriously Sony - how about offering one of the $150-$199 versions of the SRS (closer to the original MSRP of the Dash) than the cheaper $60 SRS-XB10.  This offer is clearly a weak attempt at avoiding a class action lawsuit.