Topic: Run Android on a chumby?

I miss my chumby.  I packed the poor little guys up several years ago, in preparation for building a new house, and I've yet to get around to unboxing them.  Some originals, a One (or two) and at least a pair of 8's.

I'd still love to be able to use them, but I'd very much like to have a way to use them more interactively.  As in, either be sent a network message that brings up a specific app, or a quick way to get right to specific apps.

Barring that, is any of the chumby hardware even remotely capable of running some flavor of Android?  I realize it wouldn't be easy, but if the hardware wouldn't even cut it, then it'd be a non-starter.

Re: Run Android on a chumby?

We managed to get a really ancient version of Android (somewhere around Cupcake/Donut/Eclair) "sort of" working on chumby, many, many years ago.  It would run for a little while, very slowly, then crash.  It wasn't interesting enough to pursue any further.

There really isn't enough CPU horsepower and memory to run Android.  I don't think newer Androids even support the version of ARM used in the chumby.

I'll look into the issue of having some sort of network control over switching apps on the device.

Re: Run Android on a chumby?

wkearney99 wrote:

I'd very much like to have a way to use them more interactively.  As in, either be sent a network message that brings up a specific app, or a quick way to get right to specific apps.

there are a lot of things that can be done, perhaps close to what you want, from the tricks and tips page in the wiki: http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title=Chumby_tricks

you can change channels remotely with a bit of scripting. "Initiating a channel change"

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.