1 (edited by Fireskull 2014-10-16 17:16:29)

Topic: Chumby One USB subsystem

Hey there! I was always interested in the Chumby, and I found one earlier today at my local Goodwill for $20. It works pretty well except for the fact that the USB ports do not seem to be carrying data anymore. I read that it is a rare problem for the USB subsystem to fail... Is this a hardware failure, or a software failure that can be fixed by re-flashing to the micro-SD card?
If all else fails, I have a really fancy desk clock smile.

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong location.

Re: Chumby One USB subsystem

Reflashing the SD card wouldn't do anything. This looks to me like a power problem (The Chumby power adapters tend to go out after a couple years due to failing capacitors). I'd check the adapter with a multimeter to check if it matches the specifications here: http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … quirements.

be sure to check the voltage *under load* too. smile

also, you can ssh into the chumby and nfs mount remote file systems, so the storage capabilities are near limitless, even if the usb ports don't work.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I am unable to test under load but considering the power supply (5 volts at 2 amps) is only putting out at most 4.7 volts... that could be the problem. @Diamaunt: Don't I need to have the wireless on the Chumby working to ssh into it smile? I can confirm that the wireless dongle functions correctly, and that the Chumby USB ports are getting "some" power. I do not have another power supply that fits into the small connector, but I might be able to get the connecter from radio shack.

In short, the USB ports receive enough power to make an led in a flash drive light up but when I connect the wireless dongle it does nothing. (it actually has a green led when it works big_smile) I was assuming hardware failure but looks like the power supply is the culprit.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

wireless dongle?

chumbys have built in wifi...

which chumby do you have? since you said usb PORTS, it has to be either a classic, or an 8.

neither of which typically have power supply problems. (this just occured to me)

It is the Chumby One model N9:CHB802. The small white one with blue trim and a nifty volume wheel on the right hand side.
And yes USB ports. smile One that is accessible from the outside of the white shell and one on the inside that has the ralink (I think that is the right name) wireless dongle.

ok, so you took the c1 apart... ah.

you can't find those plugs at radio shack... they're hard to get.

you can order them from digikey. 

if you're handy with a soldering iron, there's a good chance you can repair your c1 power supply.  video linked off the wiki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbhG7JyT50

diamaunt wrote:

if you're handy with a soldering iron, there's a good chance you can repair your c1 power supply.  video linked off the wiki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbhG7JyT50

I recently replaced caps on both a C1 power supply and an I3.5 power supply.  Neither work at all.

Do you have a part number for the plug on digikey?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Just use the drop down menu for "plug size" or something (forget the exact title) and look for an outer diameter of 3.2 mm and an inner diameter of 0.9 mm.

Materdaddy wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

I recently replaced caps on both a C1 power supply and an I3.5 power supply.  Neither work at all.

digikey pn CP-017-ND

thought, cutting the cord off the chumby ps and wiring it to any 2amp 5v ps is good. smile

diamaunt wrote:
Materdaddy wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

digikey pn CP-017-ND

thought, cutting the cord off the chumby ps and wiring it to any 2amp 5v ps is good. smile

That would be my suggestion. I had to replace the power supply on my Chumby One quite a while ago and just used the original cord and plug.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

12 (edited by Fireskull 2014-10-17 04:41:58)

Quick update. I found a psu and cut the original cord off and tied it to the new one. The new psu puts out a steady 5 volts, but the USB ports on my chumby are still lifeless. Should I look around on ebay for some old mainboards?

I'm kinda lost then.

hopefully, Duane will chime in.

When you had the Chumby apart did you do a close visual inspection of the USB port itself? It has been a long time since I had my Chumby One apart so I do not remember exactly what the configuration looks like. I am wondering if the previous owner had a flash drive in the unit and hit it against something and damaged the connection of the USB port to the board.

Check out Digikey # CP-017-ND for a 3.2mm x 0.9mm solder-on connector tip. You must have a supply that delivers at least 2A (2000mA).
This worked for me to repair a power supply problem.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

If the device powers up, but the USB ports are failing, then it's very likely the USB subsystem is fried.  In some cases, the port still has power, but the data lines no longer work.

I saw no physical damage to the ports. And okay Duane. I take it the subsystem is actually hardware.. Is there any chance I can use win32diskimager to load a bootable copy of Zurks offline thing? Im just trying to see if I can get some functionality out of it other than a really cool clock. And again, thank you for the quick and friendly responses smile

Sorry, I don't know enough about Zurk's stuff to know what it can or cannot do, or how you'd set it up.  As I recall, he considers "offline" to mean off the chumby.com systems, not necessarily without any access to the network, but I admit I haven't paid much attention.

What you'd probably need to do is find someone that's already configured a system and raw copy their µSD card to yours.

If everything else works perhaps you would consider subscribing to the Chumby service? Try it out for one month to see if you like all the widgets Chumby service has to offer.

From the Chumby.com main page:
Subscribe to get apps!
Add a subscription to get access to over 1000 apps for your chumby device!
Log in and select "my chumby -> my subscription" from the menu bar to subscribe now!

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

If everything else works perhaps you would consider subscribing to the Chumby service? Try it out for one month to see if you like all the widgets Chumby service has to offer.
!

as I understand it, his problem is that the usb system isn't working, and the wifi is connected through usb...