Topic: Three Chumbys, No Boots - Nuthin' but Bubbles.

I've got a number of Chumbys - some running off chumby.com, some zurked, and even an I8 Frankenchum suffering a personality crisis that thinks it's a C8 with heavily modded (and maybe just a little broken) zurkware. I'm used to one going on the blink every now and then - due to network issues, the weather, being in a pissy mood, or (usually) because I broke something somewhere. Usually with a little effort and/or patience, the kinks work themselves out.

About two weeks back, over the course of an afternoon, I lost the two classics and a C1 that were on chumby.com. Things seemed to be ok, then they'd try to reboot, getting to various points in the process, and then eventually all three settled into a state where they'll get as far as the bubbling logo, and then just sit there. While normally I'm a big fan of the hexapus, the way this one stares at me so intently is starting to feel a little unsettling - almost sinister, even.

In any case, it took a couple days to realize that this wasn't just going to fix itself, and a fair while after that before I had time to actually poke at it, but it appears that nothing on my home network can reach chumby.com anymore. Or rather, I can ping it without issue, but browsers (from Chrome and Firefox to the lowly lynx and 'telnet chumby.com 80') just time out. Interestingly, I can get through if I bounce the connection through a VPN, but sadly the poor chumbys don't have that luxury.

So, I suspect, while I didn't notice any downtime, that what may have happened was that I got disconnected and Comcast handed me a new IP - one that had previously been used to commit some sort of grievous crimes against hexapi, and was now getting the cold shoulder from the server. Does this seem likely & can it be fixed, or am I overlooking a more probably culprit somewhere closer to home?

-Bats
(or is this a free preview of Comcast/Time-Warner's upcoming "Don't Like It? Too Bad!" special service bundle?)

Re: Three Chumbys, No Boots - Nuthin' but Bubbles.

Yes, it appears your current IP is in our main server block list.

We'll see if we can determine the history and unblock it.

OK, I've unblocked the IP, so go ahead and reboot.

We're gonna be watching tho, so behave yourself smile

Duane wrote:

OK, I've unblockedn the IP, so go ahead and reboot.

Hooray! All is right with the world again.  Or at least with three small and mostly plush pieces of the world.

Thank you, Duane. I never remember just how much I rely on these strange little beasts until I have to do without them for a while.

Duane wrote:

We're gonna be watching tho, so behave yourself :)

I am guilty of many, oh so very many things... But I assure you, crimes against Chumby do not number among them. Well, except perhaps that one Frankenchum, but he seemed to adapt pretty will after the surgery.

Thank you again,
-Bats