1 (edited by Steevo 2014-05-31 18:29:09)

Topic: Playing audio files off a USB key and unexpected repeats.

I posted on another thread about playing files off the network.
Set that aside, I am not trying to do that anymore.

I have used a workaround instead and it works, but I could use some advice.

I put audio files in the root of a usb key, stuck in in the back, that all works.
It mounts immediately and plays great. 

Here's the issue: It did not play the MP3 file I selected and pushed play on and then stop.

It insisted on playing every file in the directory. 

As I mentioned I discovered when I stuck a USB key in with MP3 files on it, that mounts immediately in my music files.  I can scroll and select the one I want, push play and it plays. 

There is a forward, rewind, play/stop and a play all button.     There is a repeat button which I didn't use.   It turns green when I select it, so it's not selected.

But after it finished the chumby continued to play the rest of the files in the directory, which surprised me. 
So I put each MP3 file in a separate folder to stop that.

That worked, but now I have another issue.

The single file in the directory plays over and over.  I see the repeat button, but it's not green, so not selected.  I can select it, so I know it's not.

Why is the file playing over and over? 
It ends and then restarts which I have not told it to do.  And I don't want it to repeat.  The repeat button is not green, so it should not be repeating.

Is it something I am doing wrong?
Or is there a bug in the "my music files" player in my Infocast 3.5s?

Re: Playing audio files off a USB key and unexpected repeats.

I'd have to check, but I think that's the way "my music files" was designed to work by the product management folks - it simply plays all of the files in the chosen directory until you stop it.

3 (edited by Steevo 2014-05-31 21:07:16)

Hm. So if there is only one file and repeat is not selected, it repeats anyway?  It seems like it works that way, but it also seems silly since there is a repeat button. 

What was the repeat button for then? 
Heh.

Well, let me ask then, is that in the Chumby, or is that downloaded with the control panel.
And can my I 3.5s use my music files if there is no internet connection?  I'd guess not.

But I dunno.

Well, no response to that.
Can an I 3.5 use music files off USB if there is no internet connection?

I'd guess not.

The Chumby devices need to download a Control Panel, which includes all music sources, on boot up. Without that control panel, nothing will work besides connecting to WiFi. You can use zurk's or my offline solution to get around this, however.

Steevo wrote:

Hm. So if there is only one file and repeat is not selected, it repeats anyway?  It seems like it works that way, but it also seems silly since there is a repeat button. 

Heh.

Well, let me ask then, is that in the Chumby, or is that downloaded with the control panel.
And can my I 3.5s use my music files if there is no internet connection?  I'd guess not.

But I dunno.

Well, it is not just playing the one song (like repeat button).  It is playing ALL songs in that folder, which IS the standard function.  So you only have 1 song in the folder, it plays all songs in the folder til told to stop.  Hence, one song over and over.

nathanm wrote:

The Chumby devices need to download a Control Panel, which includes all music sources, on boot up. Without that control panel, nothing will work besides connecting to WiFi. You can use zurk's or my offline solution to get around this, however.

Well, in that case, I wonder if I use your offline solution can I make a little change to the music player to make it play one time?   I got the impression that was all kind of open source stuff.
I did archive the contents of chumby.com, including all the source code with HTTrack way back when.

I haven't played with the offline stuff.  Should I try yours or zurk's?  I got the impression his was not in active dev anymore.  Yours might still be.

Nathanware does not modify your Chumby. If you pull out the USB stick you are back to "stock" or whatever you had beforehand. Zurks software used to act the same way but now it does modify your chumby (has since about version 19?). I suggest you start with Nathanware.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

philhu wrote:
Steevo wrote:

Heh.

But I dunno.

Well, it is not just playing the one song (like repeat button).  It is playing ALL songs in that folder, which IS the standard function.  So you only have 1 song in the folder, it plays all songs in the folder til told to stop.  Hence, one song over and over.

Well, I looked at other "media" players.  Windows media, plays the selected item once.  VLC, plays the selected item once.  Youtube, plays the selected item once.  I haven't yet found anything that thinks *normal* is to play the same thing over and over forever. 

This just seems so odd.  Ill advised. 

I have to wonder where the thinking came from who designed this.
"product management folks -??"  One would wonder.

10 (edited by ehertz 2014-06-05 09:03:50)

I suppose that the fact that the Chumby is not designed to be just another media player is why some of us are fans.

There are many things that a Chumby is terrific for, but playing MP3 files, in my opinion, is not one of them. The music player it uses, btplay, has lots of limitations.

Maybe when the Chumby Two comes out, it will address all of those shortcomings.

ehertz wrote:

I suppose that the fact that the Chumby is not designed to be just another media player is why some of us are fans.

There are many things that a Chumby is terrific for, but playing MP3 files, in my opinion, is not one of them. The music player is uses, btplay, has lots of limitations.

Maybe when the Chumby Two comes out, it will address all of those shortcomings.

Heh.

Well, I looked at other "media" players.  Windows media, plays the selected item once.  VLC, plays the selected item once.  Youtube, plays the selected item once.  I haven't yet found anything that thinks *normal* is to play the same thing over and over forever. 

This just seems so odd.  Ill advised. 

Oh wait, I am not saying the way it works is right.  It is clearly a bug, but it is based upon design.  It just wasn't coded for the condition of a folder having a single file in it.  It *IS* coded to play the same folder of music selected over and over.  Yes, there should be a checkbox for repeat, but they set it up just to do it.

Steevo wrote:

I've heard that some of the problems I see in the later chumbys are related to too much middle management and product manglement people.... sadly.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

So if that loads with the control panel off the server, is there a way to fix it?
I thought it was all open source.

Much of the system is open source, but the FlashLite implementation is licensed from Adobe, and the control panel itself was never opened up.

unwiredben wrote:

Much of the system is open source, but the FlashLite implementation is licensed from Adobe, and the control panel itself was never opened up.

Does that mean it can't be fixed? 
Or that Duane would be the only one who could? 
Or what?

17 (edited by Steevo 2014-07-31 15:51:53)

As you recall the built in player repeats forever, ignoring the green/non-green status of the obvious repeat button.

Or maybe there is a simple fix to the problem.

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … ing_BTplay

I noticed this

PlayLoopCount

_PlayLoopCount = ASnative(5,146);
_PlayLoopCount(10);

Sets the number of times the next file provided to PlayAudio will play. 

Which seems like the poorly implemented/unimplemented setting.

Is there a widget media player that can play a file off a usb key or off the network, just once?

I am back looking into this.

Is there a widget media player that can play a file off a usb key or off the network, just once?