Topic: How to get YouTube widget to worK?

Hi,

Is there any means to get the YouTube widgets (English or Russian) to work on a Chumby 8 device? Now the YouTube widget endeed load the files but it will not play anything - just says loading forever!

Re: How to get YouTube widget to worK?

Same problem here.....anything we can try or is YouTube widget hosed.??

If I get some time, I'll take a look.

yea, it locks mine up when I try to select a video.
Thanks Duane!

Great!

Its been doing it for a while......

Hi,

Are there any news concerning this no working YouTube widget?

Sorry, no.  Been pretty busy wth my *real* job lately.  It looks like the issue is that Youtube changed some stuff, and the little server that sits between the widget and Youtube needs to be updated to match.  The problem is not in the widget itself.

bummer.

I actually reported this problem to Support back in March 2011.  At the time, I reported it as an anomoly of the C8 software on an Infocast, thinking this was caused by that software.  The Chumby guy determined it was the YouTube page and something would need to make some changes

The talk then was that it was on the list after some major control panel changes that were 'happenning soon' 

I now assume that was the Flash 4 stuff, that was being worked on at the demise.

Correct.  They were actually several improvements that were in progress at the time.  Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to resurrect them.  I *did* release new Control Panels for all platforms that fixed several outstanding bugs, but there were no major enhancements.

Duane wrote:

Correct.  They were actually several improvements that were in progress at the time.  Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to resurrect them.  I *did* release new Control Panels for all platforms that fixed several outstanding bugs, but there were no major enhancements.

Hmmmmm..that leads to an interesting thought.  Is it possible to resurrect the code with us programmer/users help?  Turning this Chumby into a user-supported project?  Does anyone care if the code/dev env is now released

You would need to get permission from the creator of the YouTube widget to use any of his code. Not sure who owns the "the little server that sits between the widget and Youtube". That would have to be updated. The other option would be to create it all from scratch. Seems like a pretty big task.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

All of the Chumby stuff (which includes the "little server") belongs to the company that acquired all of Chumby's assets back in August.