Topic: Love my Chumby(s) but.....

I love my 2 chumbys but the reality is that one day soon, they just wont work anymore.

I was just wondering if anyone had found a replacement??

thanks

Re: Love my Chumby(s) but.....

A true replacement does not exist. Many of the functions of a Chumby are now handled by users smart phones or tablets. One of the major reasons Chumby never "made it big" was it was released shortly before the first iPhone. You can pick up a cheap Chinese Android tablet or used Android phone and get it to do most of what a Chumby does but Android is not truly open so there is only so much hacking you can do with those. iPhones are pretty much useless if you want to hack/modify it to your purposes.

Another possibility are the linux computers that are built to resemble flash drives. Most ship with Android but can be made to work with (ARM versions) of linux. You can modify them to your heart's content...software wise. These go for between $35 - $120 based on configuration.  Hope this helps

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Have you tried the offline firmware by Zurk? Works great.  My chumby has been running non stop through the outage.

As a recent Chumby purchaser, I'll second kgeissler's suggestion. Zurk's offline firmware is a lifesaver, although it takes a little more effort to set up and change out widgets. I'm currently running one classic off chumby.com & another off zurk's  - and while I've still got some tweaking to do on the second, it's having no trouble with the outage. I'm pretty happy with it all around - and thrilled by what it means for long-term usefulness.

There are any number of threads in the forums here about it, and he's also got a forum for the fw over at sourceforge.

You can check out the forum here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/forums/forum/12064

A (slightly outdated, but still helpful) guide to switching over here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chumby/

-Bats

I second what BoloMKXXVIII and kgeissler said.

The "second best" substitute would be a Raspberry Pi (costs $35, or $43 shipped) which takes a full size SD card, has 256MB RAM, and is ARM architecture.  It's designed to be totally open, and in addition to HDMI and composite out, also has a DSI connector for an LCD panel and a CSI connector for a camera.

Doktor Jones wrote:

The "second best" substitute would be a Raspberry Pi (costs $35, or $43 shipped) which takes a full size SD card, has 256MB RAM, and is ARM architecture.  It's designed to be totally open, and in addition to HDMI and composite out, also has a DSI connector for an LCD panel and a CSI connector for a camera.

The Raspberry Pi, while a pretty great little device (I've got two), really isn't a Chumby equivalent - or even particularly similar, unless you're comparing it to the Chumby Hacker Board. Like the Chumby, it's a small ARM linux-based computer... but that's  where the similarity ends. You _could_ turn it into a similar device with sufficient coding (possibly a browser-based system, substituting html 5 for flash, which is unavailable) and additional hardware (touchscreen, wifi, speakers, buttons), but in itself it's just a cheap, low-power, bare-board linux box.

Additionally both the CSI and DSI connectors are currently unsupported, and (particularly frustrating), analog audio is still riddled with issues - nixing it as a replacement for playing music, if you aren't going the HDMI route.

Not to knock the Pi - I really am quite fond of it (aside from the damn audio trouble), but at least for the foreseeable future it'll be sitting next to my Chumby (and powered by it), not replacing it.

-Bats

Over on Kickstarter there is a project called Instacube, which looks like a portable picture frame device:
http://kck.st/PaLgqE

It runs Android, so I wonder if some day it will be able to run the Chumby Android app.

I am not terribly worried about the servers going dark.  I have alternate plans.  Specifically the fun web-based UI I've been working on based on the Qt Webkit implementation.

It runs in kiosk mode and I have a nice web UI using jquery for a calendar, pandora (using piano bar), and other fun stuff.  I'm still ironing out some details, but might look at open sourcing the code I have written and publishing it on github if I can find enough time.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

9 (edited by carldc 2012-08-23 16:16:44)

After using Zurk's offline-mode homebrew during the outage yesterday and today, I can confidently say that I am prepared should chumby.com die! My investment is safe.

RE Alternate hardware: for my purposes, thanks to the advice of BoloMKXXVIII and others, I've been looking at Tablets. Getting very close to a BB Playbook, on sale now at BB site. But one big last-minute curiousity- is it ok to keep a tablet plugged in 24/7 like a Chumby? But I think BoloMKXXVIII's 100% right- there is no replacement. I don't think any tablet would be "comfortable" next to my bed when I try to hit snooze in the mornng. (Also, probably need a dock with power input on the bottom...) FYI, I've seen an internet alarm clock advertised that looks a little like a Chumby but rates 0 out of 10 in most reviews- just doesn't work.

Bobsz, check the manufacturers site as to how they like you to treat their tablets power wise.  I believe it will eventually diminish the capacity of the battery if you never take them off the plug to discharge.  Apple for instance, likes you to discharge their iPads and iPhones once a month.

From apples site...

"Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

12 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2012-08-24 03:01:47)

The Playbook has a dock that can be had for about $30. I do not own one...yet. I am sure leaving the Playbook on the charger 24/7 would not be good for the battery long term, but if you plan on leaving it there, what does battery life mean anyway?

FYI, there have been some reports that the spring loaded pins on the Playbook dock can get stuck in the down position. The Playbook will report it is being charged when it is in fact not being charged. If you do decide to go this route make sure you are careful with it. I also wonder if it would have to be weighted or mounted to something so the Playbook/dock doesn't move around while you are using it. My Infocast 8 stays put but it was meant to be used this way. The Playbook dock is simply meant to be a rapid charging stand.

@BoloMKXXVIII- Thanks for those points. The Playbook does have really good sound for a tablet. But like you said, "a true (Chumby) replacement does not exist." I guess we're really lucky we happened onto them when we did! I've got a C1 "mothballed" for insurance. Who knows, it'll probably outlast my hearing and eyesignt anyway!

When you all leave Chumby for tablets, where will you be listing your chumby hardware for sale? big_smile

Materdaddy wrote:

When you all leave Chumby for tablets, where will you be listing your chumby hardware for sale? big_smile

Who is leaving their Chumbys? I rarely discard tech. It usually get repurposed. I had an Android tablet (hacked Nook Color) but it had a hardware failure. I have not replaced it. The Playbook was purchased so i could easily video chat with my Sister. My Chumby one has been partially replaced with a Grace Digital radio but I still use the Chumby one for news, weather, etc. The Infocast 8 moved to the garage where it feeds me music and photos while I am working on projects. If you want more Chumbys you will have to look elsewhere.  ;-)

I did think about the "Archos 35 Home Connect" as a Chumby alternative. Not as hackable and not as standard a Linux version (Android) but at least would have tons of updating apps. Sadly they don't seem to keep up with Android  updates too much and the resistive touch screen may make a tablet and a dock a better alternative.

simpfeld wrote:

I did think about the "Archos 35 Home Connect" as a Chumby alternative. Not as hackable and not as standard a Linux version (Android) but at least would have tons of updating apps. Sadly they don't seem to keep up with Android  updates too much and the resistive touch screen may make a tablet and a dock a better alternative.

This device has terrible reviews. I think there is a market for this type of device but this one "ain't it".

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

If you want more Chumbys you will have to look elsewhere.  ;-)

Well, it was worth asking! tongue

The more chumby devices I can have "on the cheap", the better!

19 (edited by bobsz 2012-08-24 13:45:50)

Sorry all, I think I got this topic a little confused because I was originally just looking for a decent affordable internet radio alternative on another thread. But we can all dream of finding more Chumbys someday. Nothing else comes close.

Just got the BB Playbook today. I'll post a review here when I've used it a couple of days. Just wrote a (favorable) initial impression here:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=43968#p43968

21 (edited by bobsz 2012-09-12 20:21:03)

Here's a little information on the Blackberry Playbook. I bought one a couple of weeks ago primarily for streaming music, but also wanted to try my first Tablet. I had it in my mind that a Tablet might somehow be a partial Chumby substitute. I don't think that's going to happen. I know the form factor of the Archos mentioned above might be closer to a Chumby, but I read about it's shortcomings.

First of all, the thing that brought me to the Playbook was the reported sound quality. Considering how small the device and the speakers are, that's definitely true. The device is laid out more for use in landscape mode, so the speakers are on left and right edges. There's an interesting sound enhancement that may just be a coincidence, but I doubt it: as you hold it with two hands, your hands are cupped next to the speakers, projecting the sound towards your ears. You really can hear the stereo effects. Midrange and high ranges are beautiful and crisp. The back of the unit vibrates a little to add a little more bass. I plugged in my good Sennheiser headphones to check out the sound, and it's remarkably strong and good. Some devices are too weak to power these headphones, but the BB is great. It has a feature called "headphone boost" that really works. The sound is better than my old Sansa Fuze.

One problem is that there's no "native" player for streaming radio, which I guess is true of most tablets. But the online players from Shoutcast, Sky.fm, etc etc all work fine. There's actually a free app to stream directly from links, which is just like MyStreams. There are other pay player apps but I don't see the need for them. The proprietary browser is speedy enough with flash so that videos and music play fine. (No Hulu or Netflix yet.) Resolution and sound on videos is great.

The browser can't be customized much at all.

Note that this is a 7" tablet, so some of the fonts run small. But it's very easy to hold in your hands and use.

A word about the apps in general: the selection is growing but still limited, especially native BB apps. Android apps are being ported to it, but they can be buggy. This Tablet has a "business" edge to it that's not at all like the "Playbook" name. (Some of the "swipes" you use are non-intuitive.) For me, not being Android is a big plus, because it's *not* Google. The BB OS is very nice, due for an update soon. A great thing about these non-Android apps- they ask for very few "permissions." Google is not watching you 24/7. There is still some hope for privacy. Even if BB collects my data, better them than Amazon.

Basic Chumby-like functions like weather are built in, besides having the whole web to play with. Nice photo viewer. The clock makes you appreciate Chumby. The clock face has two choices: analog or digital. Of course, there's no way to have anything like channels changing apps.

Of course, it has all the typical tablet things like cameras. Battery life is excellent. And everything works right in this Tablet- the touchscreen, word completion, the speedy OS and browser, and the beautiful screen and sound. BTW, the sound is loud enough to fill a small room without distortion. Not quite as loud as a C1, but very pleasant. If anybody wants to know about the non-Chumbylike properties of the Tablet, just ask. I think the 16 GB I got was a great deal at $169. They have working models on display at most Radio Shacks if you want to play with it. It makes the no-name Androids look like old clunkers. BTW, I got this from Office Depot online, which had *slow* free shipping and sent it to me without even a packing slip inside. But it arrived fine once it finally got here.

Sounds like you are (mostly) happy with the Playbook. I really don't know why they did not become more popular once the priced dropped. The hardware is solid and the OS is well thought out and smooth. My biggest gripe with the Playbook is the lack of a memory card slot. This is a trend in tech in general. Tablets and smartphones are losing their card slots and yet they still sell. Not sure I understand it.

Honestly, I love the Playbook. It's still a work in progress, but I had no idea there was such a big community supporting BlackBerry devices, with a lot of innovation going on. I like it that the OS and device are not trying to spoon-feed content. Yup, I agree the OS is good and getting better. It's a shame that nobody's ported the Chumby Android app for Playbook yet!

Re the memory, I read that that's how companies like Apple make most money on the devices- charging another $100 for another 16 GB or whatever. Supposedly they make very little profit on the low-memory versions. That's why BlackBerry is discontinuing the 16 GB model Playbook. The limited memory on these things bothered me briefly, till I realized even a 32 GB SD card couldn't hold all I'd want, not even my music. Hard to believe it was a big deal for computers to go from 32 MB RAM to 128 MB. I think that's how insignificant these differences will seem in a year or two. We'll probably have to store stuff in the cloud, or some big home HD we can access remotely, or who knows what! (I still find floppy disks around my house once in a while.)