Topic: Facebook keeps failing

I have 3 chumbys.  Probably your best customer!

I have 2 one's and an 8.  1 of the one's and the eight both play the same channel.  The channel has Facebook photos, News, and status.

I keep seeing on facebook apps "To use this program you need to sign in" or what ever it says.  I have to keep going back to facebook.com/devices to activate my devices.  Works for a while, then, bamb back again.  I have done it multiple times.  Looks like a bug to me.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Facebook keeps failing

I have Two Chumby Classics, Two Chumby One, Two Chumby 8", One Infcast 8".
Bought my brother in law a Chumby Classic for his B-day one year and got him a Chumby 8" this year for x-mas.
Got my mom a Chumby 8" for x-mas.
Then I bought three Chumby 8" to have for friedns and family since they are so hard to find now.
So I have bought TWELVE CHUMBY BRANDED UNITS.
So I am a little concerned about the state of confusion...

ALso, the issue with not being able to log into FB is driving me crazy too.
Thank god for Duane is all I have to say...

Wow!  You are definitely a better customer than me.  Must be a 3 chumby minimum.  Do you have any on the same channel?  About the only thing I can think of why it does it.  Didn't have the probable with 2 chumby's on different channels.  Maybe I'll get ambitious and copy my channel to a new one and see if it goes away.

That would be interesting to see, jeff... keep us posted how that works out!

My moms does it too and hers is on a different channel with an different account and  it did it when she only had one Chumby too. Now she has two (both C8 untis) and both do it.

I'm beginning to notice the same thing. I've seen the sign in screen twice on my office Chumby.

I switched my 8 to a different change on 3/1.  Was good for a while.  Now back on all 3.  All running on different channels.  I think they have a real issue some were.

me too, every couple of days I come home to see the stock photos running on the screen and I must re authenticate with facebook.

Do we need to open an official customer support request or do the power that be monitor this forum?

paktinat wrote:

me too, every couple of days I come home to see the stock photos running on the screen and I must re authenticate with facebook.

Do we need to open an official customer support request or do the power that be monitor this forum?

For widget-related issues, Duane peruses the forum pretty regularly, and is usually pretty quick to step in and help.  If he still hasn't spoken up on this in a few days I'll check with him on it.

Cool.

I noticed this reply he gave in another thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=40613#p40613

Duane wrote:

We operate a server that handles the authentication with Facebook, which may be having issues.  We'll look into that.

hopefully they can square away this issue.

bump? any news?

Still nothing?
no one has responded to my emails either.

duane will do what he can but why dont you fix it yourself ?
the tools are available. all you need is a logging proxy like squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/), the facebook api (http://developers.facebook.com/) and familiarity with one of the offline firmwares.

zurk wrote:

why dont you fix it yourself ?

I'm sorry if I feel like a feature like facebook integration that was advertised on the box should work without me troubleshooting the failure myself.

The Facebook app uses an unusual API called "Facebook for devices", designed explicitly for devices like Chumby where the normal browser-based Facebook authentication is not appropriate.

It *appears* that Facebook changed the timeout behavior of this API to expire sessions much quicker than before.  If that's the case, there's nothing that can be done.

Even if it were not the case, it's unlikely this would be fixed.

paktinat wrote:

Still nothing?
no one has responded to my emails either.

Just as a note if you haven't noticed from reading the other forums, Duane provides some support and tries to keep things running as a volunteer. Don't expect (or complain about not getting) the kind of support you'd get from a company that was still operating, be grateful that Duane is willing to spend his time on this.

Please let me extend my apologies. I did not know that chumby as a company had officially closed up. An email to all those who had registered devices would have been nice, right? I had originally posted about this issue before the announcement and was not really checking the other forums to ensure the company still existed and missed that bit of information.

Thanks Duane for what you do. Hopefully I wont have to relegate my chumby to the shelf of abandoned electronics next to the dreamcast.