Re: Octopus - Download every single chumby widget and the entire catalog.

Much thanks to the devs and coders but I will be so happy when I can scrape out all the proprietary nonsense and have this device be a truly open source one. Reading the thread here only reinforces why I deal with proprietary bits as infrequently as I can. Thanks to all the devs and coders who are giving blanket permission for folks to use their code... to all else...rm.

Hi

I have tried this twice. It just runs for hours downloading and then seems to hang. Cant somebody that has managed to do this, put everything in a zip file and post it somewhere?

28 (edited by bobsz 2012-05-14 19:30:45)

As for a zip file, there was a mention of potential legal problems mentioned earlier in this thread, distributing them without various permissions. Unless you really need every single widget, why not just download the ones you need? If you have hundreds of these files sitting around it can take a lot of searching to find the ones mentioned in your profile widgets, the ones you really want. But if you want to keep trying Octopus, zurk has a basic forum up on Sourceforge where he might help.

I dont need every single one of them. I just thought it would be nice to be able to select new ones in the future even if chumby server was gone smile

@davidgrm- Sorry if I sounded cynical about wanting all the widgets. I just don't think I could sort out the jumble, if I could get Octopus to work in the first place. Before there was Octopus, Duane told us about a way to download a bunch of widgets pretty simply, although much more manual. You can view widgets and files by category.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=41741#p41741

For the second step, make sure your browser is the default xml viewer or else you won't view it correctly.

huge thanks to all of those that worked so hard to make Chumby a great tool and are helping the rest of us prepare for the "Chumbypocalypse"

I think i will keep an eye on eBay for some gently used Chumbys.....mine is lonely.   wink

cheers,

elgeek

32 (edited by kathleen 2012-05-16 14:10:39)

Oddly enough, I'd downloaded and run the projects, but no file extensions.  Windows 7.

hmmmm, seeing that the downloads don't seem to complete all at once I wonder if i remember enough Java to make it check if a file exists before downloading it again....

then i could simply re-run it a few times until i finally get all the stuff!

or maybe someone with real coding skills could make that mod....wink wink  wink

cheers,

elgeek

elgeek wrote:

huge thanks to all of those that worked so hard to make Chumby a great tool and are helping the rest of us prepare for the "Chumbypocalypse"

I think i will keep an eye on eBay for some gently used Chumbys.....mine is lonely.   wink

cheers,

elgeek

Tech for less has the infocast 3.5" for $13.49.

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech … ;mv_pc=127

They have 9 as of this posting. They had over 40 a few days ago but I could not register on the forum to let everyone know due to the spam filter saying someone at my IP had already registered.

I have bought 4 of them already and having fun. One is a freebee because one had a missing power connector. They shipped me another one and said to keep the non working one. I cracked it open to find the connector had broken loose due to cold solder joints. Resoldered the connector and a working infocast.

Playing around with the files I found a few interesting things.

Looking at the files with a hex editor, it is easy to see what the file is, xml, jpg or swf.

If you put the extension on the file, you can view the jpg as icons, or more interesting run the swf programs in a flash player!

Great way to see what they are and what they do. It is also a great way to find out what files go together.

Hi All,

I know I am a little late to this...Can someone post what is in the different stage directories? I gather that stage 1 and 2 contain xml. Do stage 3 and 4 contain both thumbnails and swfs. If so, why have two directories? Also, what is in the file that ends in an "X"? 

Thanks,
Jose

Octopus never really got much support here, for some reasons listed above about developers' rights and Chumby's. You might want to check zurk's forum on Sourceforge. To back up your own channels, there are some simpler methods and tools you can find in this forum. A tool by "francesco" makes it very easy to backup the widgets you're already using. It also modifies your profile for for the C1 offline to include all your personalizations for the widgets- location, color, etc. (SkyHappenings - Weather Edition is the only exception, see zurk's documentation.)

I guess I may have waited too long - it appears that the chumby servers are down!
Is there anyway I can still download the collection of apps?

As indicated in Duane's announcement today, the servers are just experiencing some unscheduled downtime.  Just wait for him to say it's back up, then send Octopus forth and go get!

(FYI, it would be illegal to distribute Chumby widgets without the authors' permission, so to answer your question, no there wouldn't be any other place to get them.  Downloading for your own use is fair game though smile)

We've diagnosed the problem - the main database server simply ran out of space.  We're working to increase the storage and copy over the database, may take a few hours.