Topic: Which is the best Chumby device to purchase?

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best Chumby device to buy and which one might have the best future if the site goes down. I have 3 Chmby one's and one died. Looking to replace it with something else. Thanks

Re: Which is the best Chumby device to purchase?

I like the Chumby 8 and Chumby One both.  The C8 has a better screen and more storage, while the Chumby One is a great hackable device with a nice speaker that fits into lots of places.  I also have a couple of the Infocast 3.5" devices, but they're mainly sitting as backups right now.

The original beanbag is nice, but my unit had its screen go bad, so I sold it to a friend.  The lack of internal microSD card means that it's harder to hack on it.

unwiredben wrote:

I like the Chumby 8 and Chumby One both.  The C8 has a better screen and more storage, while the Chumby One is a great hackable device with a nice speaker that fits into lots of places.  I also have a couple of the Infocast 3.5" devices, but they're mainly sitting as backups right now.

The original beanbag is nice, but my unit had its screen go bad, so I sold it to a friend.  The lack of internal microSD card means that it's harder to hack on it.

Do you know if the info cast 8 and the Chumby 8 are the same?

Do you know if the Sony Dash is a better or worse choice?

I have a Sony Dash too, and it does have some nice features, but it's much less hackable, and it will stop working if Sony pulls the plug on their service.  The Chumby/Infocast devices have offline firmwares that allow them to still be useful.

The Chumby 8 is a newer version of the hardware in the Infocast 8.  The Chumby One and Infocast 3.5 are almost identical, with the Infocast losing the backup battery port.

The Sony Dash has no future. Once Sony turns off their servers you might be able to use it as a paperweight.

The Chumbys and Infocasts will keep going as long as you have working hardware. Even if the servers go dark at some point there is more than one way to continue their usefulness.

I have a Chumby One and an Infocast 8 (running Chumby 8 firmware). They are different devices and tend (for me) to fill different uses. While they are still available you might want to pick up a Chumby 8 or Infocast 8 to compliment your Chumby ones.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.