1 (edited by bobsz 2012-03-28 19:59:01)

Topic: Graphic interface for transition

I've been trying off-line software from Zurk, Servelan, and a couple of older attempts. Zurk's has several widgets built-in. I've gotten good advice from the board, but, I continue to be getting things wrong when I try to add to the Widgets on their programs. I just noticed that Doktor J said he may be working on something, too. I was wondering if someone might be able to come up with a graphic interface for adding off-line widgets? Or, if Chumby (ie Duane) might be able to provide a way to "get" widgets more simply from the Chumby site? I've got my widgets' profile saved, but have trouble integrating that with the flash movies it refers to. Of course, I'd be happy if the Chumby servers keep going and this all isn't necessary.

Re: Graphic interface for transition

You can get a XML list of widget categories with:

http://xml.chumby.com/xapis/catalog

Each category will have a url to fetch a list of widgets in that category, for instance:

http://xml.chumby.com/xapis/catalog/ind … 1E681DF646

...is a list of widgets in the "Australian" category.  For each widget, you get some XML that lists pretty much everything we know about the widget.  There's a "movie" node that usually contains the best choice of SWF for the 3.5" devices, and there's a "swfs" node for alternatives with extra information that a device can use to select a more appropriate version.

Getting a specific user's profile typically requires an OAuth session, so that's a *lot* more work.

Note that the info above would allow someone to download all widgets - however, if you do so, you cannot redistribute them yourself, since you are not licensed by the widget authors to do so - it would be a black-letter violation of copyright.  If you *do* want to build an alternative service, you'll need to obtain explicit redistribution rights from each author, as Chumby has.

I, personally as an author of many dozens of the more popular widgets, would frown mightily on anyone redistributing my widgets without my permission.  Chumby Industries would undoubtedly take the same position on its 250 or so widgets.

@Duane- Thanks. I think you've really given me a way to do this I can figure out. Of course, I barely can prepare my own Chumbys for this possible off-line mode, so no danger of me abusing this info. Probably, most other folks will just assume this is just another one of my flaky posts and ignore it. We really appreciate you sticking around, and hope the Chumby servers keep humming along. I think you're really trying to do the honorable thing compared to content providers like FrameChannel who just shut the door and turned off the lights on their device users, with no warning. You've helped us prepare for whatever happens.

Duane wrote:

I, personally as an author of many dozens of the more popular widgets, would frown mightily on anyone redistributing my widgets without my permission.  Chumby Industries would undoubtedly take the same position on its 250 or so widgets.

Duane
I can see that, but if a user were to archive them for their own use on their own chumby(s) I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Nobody thought making a local archive would be necessary but given the uncertain future of the chumby servers.......

Do you agree?

Hi All,

This this post still current? The swfs nodes do not seem to contain 800x600 as an option...

Thanks,
Jose