Topic: Thank you, Duane.

For the last couple of years you've been a constant source of help on these forums, and in the last few months/weeks have obviously been going way above and beyond the call of duty in keeping the lights on here.  Speaking for myself, I really really appreciate it.

I wish the story of Chumby had ended more happily, but you did yourself proud.

Meanwhile, time for me to scoop up a few more Ones on ebay: this is the best alarm clock I've ever had, and I'll be damned if I'm giving it up.

Re: Thank you, Duane.

Having dived into the chumby community all of two days ago  one thing is clear, Duane has been the go to person for info, answers and the person who is the offical chumby.com liaison.  I would not have been as up to speed as I am in this short time had it not been for your efforts. Thank you.

In these transition days keep yourself sane, things are rough at the eol of a business.

Duane's been an inspiration here for a long time.  He's one of the reasons I've bought at least four Chumby-powered devices over the years.

I just read elsewhere that Duane's just been doing all this work since December just as a member of the Community, that his job disappeared, too. I noticed the "team picture" of the former CEO disappeared months ago, and the remaining pictures are the 3 founders of Chumby, the people who actually *made* this thing. These are obviously the folks who "believed in the users." Thanks to them all for making this great little device-
http://www.chumby.com/pages/media_team

5 (edited by cbreeze 2012-04-26 09:33:16)

I had my suspicions, but I'm not surprised.  I may have never had the privilege of meeting Duane in person, but he has been a huge influence on my AS scripting, and making me reach further in my skills, etc.

I remember when I first came on the scene a number of years back, and I was bitching (it's what I do tongue) about some early widget not being on the "Most Popular" list or something, and he responded by basically telling me I would need to "raise the bar."  I was really frustrated at that reply.  But he was right.  I came back with Chumbyland; a real-time multi-user widget that is very highly rated and has been visited by over 15,000 "chums" and running for over 3 years (What other widget has an almost 100 page manual created by the users?  And translated into Japanese as well?).  Friendships were made, fun times were had.

In retrospect, Chumbyland has been my most ambitious and challenging personal project in all of my 20 years of programming.  I have chumby and Duane to thank for that.  So, thank you.  It was an amazing ride.  There is no way I could put a value on what I learned during that time and how I've applied it to my current work.  I continue to push myself to fine tune my projects even more.  I always have the voice of Duane, who in my imagination sounds a bit like Obi Wan, whispering "raise the bar, Luke." smile

In this tech-drenched society people are obviously attracted to devices for different reasons.  I've found the people that are attracted to chumbies are generally awesome.  Seriously.  This whole chumby "thing" is not something I will forget soon, if ever.

Anyway, Duane...a man of mystery with a heart of gold.  If there is one who "believes" in the users, it's him.  If I had to pay for every time I wanted to "buy that man a drink," I'd be broke and he'd be drunk.

Cheers to you Duane!

Thank you for all the support and help over the years, and especially for dealing with my "passionate" postings.

Best,
Cb (develephant)

cbreeze - even under the circumstances, do you still want me to publish your music source?

I think I now have the ability to do it - the server had a problem back when I tried before, but I think it's fixed now.

Thanks from Plank.

Duane wrote:

cbreeze - even under the circumstances, do you still want me to publish your music source?

I think I now have the ability to do it - the server had a problem back when I tried before, but I think it's fixed now.

Gets my vote, I would love to have Subsonic as a music source.

Just another voice saying thanks to Duane.   I've been a long time lurker, but your posts were always helpful... and the fact that you're keeping the lights on for us for a little while longer is insanely nice of you.

Thanks for everything, and best of luck with the future!

dave

I appreciate all of the support, folks.

I'm a user too, so I have as much interest in keeping the system up as anyone.

I have managed to salvage some parts and devices that were left at Chumby's offices - so I may be able to offer things like power supplies, etc for those folks having trouble.

Since there are so few, I'd like to first help the people who have devices under warranty, then others that might be having issues.  After that, I can open them up to everyone.

I just blindly collected it all, so I need to inventory them and check whether they work properly.  I'll post when I can.  I know I have mostly CC and C1 supplies, but I also have a very limited number of Infocast supplies.