Topic: Converting to offline widgets

I figured it might be good to start a new topic on this, instead of dragging everything into Zurk's firmware topics. These are kind of narrow areas, so I thought maybe some users might help from their own experience. Converting some widgets into their offline versions sometimes is not so straightforward as it looks.

My first question here is about the off-line photo viewer widget. I tried dumping some of my pictures in the photo folder, but discovered there's an "index" in that folder that apparently sets the viewing order. I was trying to make one manually with my own image names, but realized I don't know how to create an xml file like that. I saw another file in the photo folder that might be some kind of script to make the index, but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Has anybody made an index for this yet?

(Anybody have a link for a simple explanation of the basics of creating xml? I was fine with HTML, but don't know how to edit xml. I retrieve my profiles with Firefox fine, but can't edit them.)

Second widget question is about the "Bar Clock" widget. It works fine offline, except that the clockface is the default that says "go to Chumby.com to customize this." I'd love to have the plain clockface like the online widget sends out.

Thanks.

2 (edited by zurk 2012-04-12 04:36:22)

Re: Converting to offline widgets

script for photos runs on any linux box. ./scriptname to run. use wordpad for xml manual creation, save as text.
syntax is :
<images>
    <image filename="image1.jpg" />
    <image filename="image2.jpg" />
    <image filename="image3.jpg" />
  </images>
copy parameters from your profile xml to handle the clock.

Oh, I think I figured out why some things I've read on the forum going way back don't work for me. The key was in the reply above about working on "any Linux box." In this instance, that means if I try to use that createindex.sh script on Windows, it won't do a thing. If I load up a "photo" folder with createindex.sh and put it on the USB in the Chumby, could I run it in there? I've used Ubuntu before, and could maybe try it in that environment if need be. Probably I'll just go with creating a generic index manually, then just batch-rename the jpegs. Thanks.

a chumby is a linux box.