1 (edited by bobsz 2012-04-01 20:12:41)

Topic: Old Widgets and off-line widgets- a few questions

I'm just wondering if there's anybody out there who might be considering making new widgets, or making new versions of "broken" ones. A broken one I really miss is Sky Happenings Weather Edition. It looks like that developer's not around any more. I'm still trying to make offline USB backups, but it's sad we've lost some good apps already.

Another question- does anyone know if the built-in clock will still work as a back-up in the offline software versions?

About zurk's offline firmware- his profile gives each widget a number, #1, #2, etc, but my own Chumby profile doesn't have numbers. I'm trying to change a lot of the off-line widgets, and don't know if the numbers are needed.

I'm still going very slow setting up widgets, getting the various parts together, but I've finally able to do it.  I know there's supposed to be all the info inside my Chumby's tmp file, but I still haven't been able to get in there. Just hope the Chumby servers keep going!

Re: Old Widgets and off-line widgets- a few questions

1. sky happenings is not broken. the chumby weather API on the chumby network is broken. ironically when chumby servers go away my offline firmware will automatically "fix" sky happenings so it will work properly.
2. yes the built in clock will work. you dont technically need it of course since the firmware works without an internet connection but the built in clock as a failsafe is always there if your usb disk craps out.
3. numbers are not needed. they are there for clarity and to keep me from getting confused about widget order.

The chumby weather API is not "broken".

NOAA deprecated their older service for which Chumby used to operate a proxy, so all of the Chumby-designed widgets that used to use the hosted service now access NOAA directly.  We allowed some widgets to use the proxy service as a courtesy - we made no guarantee that it would operate forever, especially since it exists only on the whim of a third party.

4 (edited by zurk 2012-04-02 20:04:45)

Wow I thought it was broken but i guess its OK since its designed not to work anymore.
Anyway, for those of us who actually want our chumbies to work - bob ive fixed the chumby weather api in v7.0 which ive uploaded. sky happenings now works properly. the fix only works with offline firmwares though. Will not work with an online chumby and cannot be used with one.

zurk wrote:

Wow I thought it was broken but i guess its OK since its designed not to work anymore.

Well, this particular API was created for a single purpose - to feed data to the NOAA Weather widget, and later, the Local Info widget.  It was not publicly documented, and anyone using it for any other purpose was knowing taking a risk.  It has actually changed several times over the years, as NOAA has changed their service.   The most recent change by NOAA prompted us to deprecate the service and modify the widgets to contact NOAA directly for current conditions and forecast data, while we still operated the weather station mapping, since they don't do that.  Now the data caching happens on the client (in MobileSharedObjects) rather than on the server.  To my knowledge, those widgets are working just fine.

It was not "designed not to work anymore" - it doesn't work only because the purpose for which it was initially created no longer exists.  That's not the only service that we've changed over the years, since virtually no third-party service we interface with has stayed the same.  For instance, the SHOUTcast service had a *major* API change a couple of years ago, but in that case we were able to maintain the same chumby-facing API.  Facebook is a constantly moving target, and they're about to make another policy change that will break many products.

Note that NOAA has been under some political pressure to deprecate all free access to taxpayer-funded data.