1 (edited by joltdude 2011-07-07 07:48:58)

Topic: Postsecret is now unavalible - trend of leaving/expiring the service

Now Postsecret is no longer avalible... Recently there seems to be quite a few apps no longer avalible...
Is there any plans to suppliment all of these dissapearing widgets?... Seems a lot of the more practical news/information widgets are dissapearing, along with some of the better "fun" widgets....Really i understand things like the weather channel going away, but theres no longer movie listings, rolling stone, weather channel, hotornot, and now Postsecret... There seems to be a mass exit of apps!.... I miss this stuff... And some apps are starting to show their age/reliablity decline..and others could use a little updating/modernizing to better fit the C8...

The blue screen of app death (app is no longer available button to remove), and the black warning screen saying this app is temporarily unavailable seem to be starting to become a bit more common.

Re: Postsecret is now unavalible - trend of leaving/expiring the service

Postsecret was done by a chumby developer who did not have the rights to post the content from Postsecret. We got a note from Frank himself ordering us to take it down. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about these situations but try to negotiate, which we are doing. Content owners are usually very protective of their content, which is very understandable. It needs to be deployed in conjunction with their terms.

It would have been nice if when an app is pulled.. put a blurb up in its place.. Not just vanish..
This (insert app) was removed due to content rights issues... but the main point I was bringing up is there seems to be a more than average number of content developers pulling/having their apps pulled in the recent few months.. This kind of thing irritates me when content people get all in a knot because people arent viewing their content the way *THEY* want to.. Heck i can grab an RSS feed/blog of that same content..Although this is out of your control...its kind of disconcerting.. Its almost as bad as the music industry..

problem is chumby is terrible for developers. there is no way to monetize an app. there is no service chumby provides for hosting apps (not even source!). flash is a terrible environment to program in. chumby's are horrible in terms of software (no offline mode unlike android iphones etc). basically there is no reward for putting an app up and keeping it updated. it costs money for content owners to provide data too and chumbys dont work with advertising networks either. its basically bad from the ground up and chumby needs an architectural rewrite (its got linux, so put java and use standard HTML for the screen to run applets or show pictures or whatever) but the devs are fixated on this stupid flash proprietary environment with online only for all chumbys so its gradually collapsing as a platform. bestbuy just pulled all the insignia+chumby devices from in store sales. only thing left is the sony dash.