Re: Debian Lenny on a Chumby Classic

Duane wrote:

It should be easier on Silvermoon.

The file system is ext3 and can be mounted as r/w, the kernel is newer, plus the software is *completely* replaceable since it's on a removable MicroSD card (though you would have to open the case to get at it).

New BB8 owner here, wondered if thats how it worked with the internal MicroSD.  I assume one could DD the card to a bigger size if they wanted as well?

Yes.

If you do that, be sure to delete partition #4 on the new card.  Part of the initial boot process checks to see if partition #4 exists, and if it does not, it will create it to fill up the entire disk.  That way /mnt/storage will be as big as possible.

1 this is really asome and thank you for doing it, but i am lazy so would it be possible for someone to post a tar of what needs to be on the usb drive

Would this also work on an infocast?

Hello all. I've been playing with this on my BB8/Infocast 8  for a little while now. I've tried it with a USB flash drive but now I'm using an external 120g drive. It seems to work okay for most of the things I've tried thus far.

Rasjid, thanks a bunch for putting up that web page and sharing it with us. It was very helpful!

I really like the package management system provided by debian. It lets me easily obtain lots ore precompiled binaries from the debian armel repositories.

I'm also thinking of trying out Plugbox/PlugApps linux. Its an arch linux distro for PogoPlug, SheevaPlug, Dockstar, etc devices. I used it before on a dockstar and it was pretty nice. Plus I really like ArchLinux.

Its funny, I love the power and flexibility of these linux distros (with their huge repositories and package management/building tools) because it lets me experiment like mad, but in the end I'll probably create a config that I will slim down back to what the original Chumby (Infocast) linux looks like.

BTW, I'm having trouble with ts_calibrate (from tslib) not working for me. It doesn't seem to like the console device nor the /dev/fb0 device I've specified (as described by Rasjid's web page).

As for X and matchbox, it seems to work except the touchscreen inputs are off and inverted. I'll keep plugging away at it I'm sure.

-Donovan (dman)

Has any tried to get debian to work on the Sony Dash?

It's very unlikely that you could get anything other than the official firmware on a dash - the bootloader is signed, and requires the firmware to be signed with Sony's key.

Even we here at Chumby can't install software on a production dash, only Sony can.

34 (edited by waspinator 2011-03-21 09:51:38)

Duane wrote:

It's very unlikely that you could get anything other than the official firmware on a dash - the bootloader is signed, and requires the firmware to be signed with Sony's key.

Even we here at Chumby can't install software on a production dash, only Sony can.

too bad. looks like I'll be returning mine then. the Infocast 3.5/8 doesn't have a locked boot loader then? or is my best option the Chumby One? 64MB just seems so little, that's way I got the Sony Dash with 256MB.

The best possibility would be the Infocast 8" - the smaller devices really don't have enough memory.  Some folks already have Android running to some degree on that device, so there's a good starting point.

The Sony dash was never intended by Sony to be hackable in any fashion.

None of the devices were designed with Android in mind, so there's no guarantee that you'll get even a reasonable experience even if you get it to work.