Topic: cdc-acm driver

I'm chasing down a communications problem with a device that uses the generic cdc-acm driver.  I notice the sources labeled as "hacker board" sources have a wildly different cdc-acm.c source file from the one on my Unbutu 10.04 system -- although the change log is the same (*sheesh*) -- anyway, I'm wondering if the cdc-acm driver on the Chumby is way stale?  It is ultra-dog slow and seems not to flush receive buffers, with my device the application hangs waiting for input from the device -- the device has sent it, but cdc-acm refuses to deliver.

Anyway... now I've hit a series of speed bumps.  I ran out of space on the device trying to untar the kernel sources, so I need to copy everything else to a new flash card or get scratchbox working for driver compiles.  I've done 'hello world' with scratch box, but not much more.  Is there a howto for compiling drivers in scratchbox?

I'm thinking about 90% of the grief I've had trying to get my CHB to become useful would not have been if Chumby simply shipped matching kernel sources on the flash card, and increased the size appropriately.  How hard can that be?  I'd be at least a week ahead with my project if Chumby did that.

Re: cdc-acm driver

Just pointing out that their is allot more space on the SD card than you think. the excess is in a septate partition mounted at /mnt/storage

?? Wow, great mind reading there, knowing what I think and all.  What's my favorite color?

Yes, I know about /mnt/storage.  Guess what, you can't uzip the sources in there with the stock uSD card.  At least not if you already have the gcc tool chain on there.

... "The CHB is not in any way officially supported by Chumby Industries ! "...

Back to original, presuming it is a 1GB SD card... what's wrong with unpacking to it to /mnt/storage?

Use a USB Memory stick then?

From memory there is a tutorial on the Wiki on compiling kernels (and thus drivers...)

Yes, exactly.  I had a "well, duh" moment and concluded that simply untar'ing the sources to a USB stick and compiling from there is the sensible way to do it.  I was kind of following Bob Smith's write up for building drivers, and he untar'ed into /mnt/storage.  Of course, he also upgraded the uSD first smile

Anyway... I haven't had a chance to try the USB stick yet because I've been chasing other issues.