Topic: How Do I Backup Chumby One's OS to a USB (Windows User)?

Hi!  I just got my Chumby One last week, and I'm trying to figure out how to get started with programming the chumby one.  I'm a Windows XP User, so I don't know too many Linux commands.  I just got the SSHD with puTTy working last night, but I would like to know how to backup the Chumby's OS to a USB before messing around with the Chumby.  Could someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone know a good set of tutorials/books to program/develop the Chumby?  The Wiki is very sparse on this so far, and I don't understand the wiki's instructions well enough yet.

Re: How Do I Backup Chumby One's OS to a USB (Windows User)?

It depends alot on what you want to do.

What are you programming for?  Flash Widgets?  Robots?  Other stuff?

Google and you would find some tutorials and guides on setting up the Chumby for robotics... [PS I don't agree with some of the methods but they work]

I'm trying to do Chumby Robotics, and I have used Google (Best one was EMG's RobotSee's walker!).  I just want to learn how to backup the Chumby One first before messing around with it.

The easiest way to do it is make an image of the microSD card inside your Chumby One. Open up the casing, locate the card on the board, pop it out, and put it into a card reader connected to your computer. In Windows, use Win32DiskImager to make a backup image of the card. Put it back into your Chumby.

Now, if you ever screw up beyond repair, or just want to easily return to a previous state, you can just write the old image to the card.

Win32DiskImager site: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer

Thanks! big_smile

Is the backup supposed to be around 1 GB?  Mine is 984 MB.

Yes, the backup will be as big as the formatted size of your microSD card. Mine was about the same size. Most of it is empty space, so it will get significantly smaller if you compress it.

The compressed images are usually around 70Mb smile  The backup depends on the size of the SD card you got with your C1.  I got 2GB ones...

There is a PDF around called ... here's the link...
http://www.linuxtoys.org/chumbot/chumby_as_robot.pdf

I'm also using the C1/Infocast for various purposes and I try share source code wink
http://www.madox.net/

Hmm... My backup is 984 originally, but after compressing, it returns to only 179.  Is this normal?

I downloaded that PDF before... it's a really cool concept!  I also liked your website Madox, but I'm wondering if there's a way to directly interface the C1 to the robot without the need of an external driver board?

Compression size depends on what you use to compress with... 179 probably sounds right with ZIP.

Depends what you are driving.  The C1 does not have many GPIO exposed, just have a think what you want to do first.  At the moment your questions are too vague wink

Almost everything will require something 'external'.  e.g. driving a motor will have to be external...whether it be a h-bridge driver board...a servo (control board inside) etc.