Topic: Hello Sony "Dash", Goodbye Chumby's

Day 1 with my 2 new Sony Dash Units.  Wow.  Simply WOW!  I thought the Chumby was cool but the Dash has the Chumby beat IMO.   The display alone makes it a worthwhile upgrade.  FINALLY being able to use Slacker was another huge reason for me to make the expensive change.  Sony makes it a snap to move my Chumby account and apps over to the Dash.

Re: Hello Sony "Dash", Goodbye Chumby's

Well, you're actually still using the chumby site, just with a different skin - there's no "moving" going on.

Duane wrote:

Well, you're actually still using the chumby site, just with a different skin - there's no "moving" going on.

Understood EXCEPT I'm moving on Hardware wise, wouldn't you agree?

Of course.

Wireless connectivity is MUCH stronger with the Dash versus the Chumby as well.  My daughter's Chumby1 was constantly <20% signal and dropping.  I'm at 38% and rock solid - so far - with the Dash.

6 (edited by cbreeze 2010-05-03 12:46:54)

I like your enthusiasm, though I would have to mostly disagree.  I think another perspective should be represented.

If streaming Netflix to your bedside, or kitchen table, is what you are after then that's one thing.  But beyond that, there is little compelling about the dash versus a C1, or classic chumby, for that matter.  But of course it will all depend on what your usage and needs are.

I've already moved my dash to a lesser used part of the house, and still prefer my C1 to do what I want it to do; serve up little bite sized chunks of the web.  The dash is overkill, and it doesn't even do any of the things it's supposed to do well.  It takes up way too much space anywhere you put it, and generally lacks any personality.  With a product like this, being a lifestyle device, those things are important to me.

It's a standard Sony design.  You've seen it a million times.  Sure, the form factor may be "new", but it's still a Sony product.  No where near the originality of the C1 or classic chumby.  It's also wired, as opposed to the C1 (with battery option), so be aware of that.

It's a closed system.  Long gone is the freedom to hack and do what YOU would like to do with your device.  The acceptance system for widgets is bound to be more restrictive as well (it's already appearing to be so).  If Sony don't like it, chances are they won't allow you to add it.  This is quite a contrast to chumby ind., and the devices they have produced.  Are we heading into the wonderful waters of the Apple approval system here?  Of course if you're not developing for the device, then that won't matter to you.

The UI is sloooow.  I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.  The C1 still laps it in speed.  The sound is less than desirable out of the box.  To its credit, the widescreen is nice, but unfortunately the 1000's of widgets are not built in that screen ratio, so they appear as squares in the full screen mode (there are a handful that do support the different display sizes).  It's great for the video playback, which reminds me, the USB drive sticking out of the side of the unit...not cool.  But that shouldn't be too much of an issue since you can't play your own media at this time anyway.  Though I do believe they are allowing this in an upcoming update.  I hope. wink

To simply pass off the Sony dash as the "better" device because of network connectivity, and Slacker radio, doesn't do anyone any service in my opinion.  Both chumby devices are amazing pieces, and can more than fullfill the needs that they were meant to meet.

With the chumby devices we have been lucky enough to have access to a product that not only has a bit of a personality in it's design (okay, a LOT of personality), but is also backed by a company philosophy, and willingness to listen to it's users, and developers.  That is hard to come by in this day and age.  With the rushed release, and the slow, if unavailable support currently on hand for the dash, I have had a second opportunity to be reminded of how great a company, and device, like chumby is.

At the end of the day, everyones preferences are different.  I think it's important to remind anyone who may be in the market for a chumby device to think before you spend your dollars.  If a chumby ind. device will do what you need it to do, especially the C1, then vote with your wallet.  We need companies like chumby to stick around.

Anyone else have both a chumby, and a dash that want to share their experience?  Jump on in!

Cheers.

I think the Sony relationship is a great opportunity and a smart move by Chumby. There is a bit of risk there, but I think greater market penetration is possible.

The more devices that can run the widgets the better. I'm hoping some of the larger devices coming in the future gives a larger selection of platforms for those that want something more open.

I don't know what the metrics are for the Chumby installed base, but I have to believe that Sony can make a large impact to the number of devices in the wild giving developers more incentive to produce apps.

The form factor of the Dash is *ok*. Like the above post I think the speakers are crap. I don't like the side USB port, but where do you put it if the device can lay on it's back? I would have liked to have seen an SD card slot.

I'm dying to pry it apart and see what's inside. Part of me wonders if I can stuff a one inside and use the carcass wink

BTW: For me the Netfix makes it worth it even if it's just a Netflix viewer.

No battery = unreliable alarm clock.  That's all that needs to be said for my opinion to be swayed towards Chumby

cbreeze wrote:

I like your enthusiasm, though I would have to mostly disagree.  I think another perspective should be represented.

If streaming Netflix to your bedside, or kitchen table, is what you are after then that's one thing.  But beyond that, there is little compelling about the dash versus a C1, or classic chumby, for that matter.  But of course it will all depend on what your usage and needs are.

I've already moved my dash to a lesser used part of the house, and still prefer my C1 to do what I want it to do; serve up little bite sized chunks of the web.  The dash is overkill, and it doesn't even do any of the things it's supposed to do well.  It takes up way too much space anywhere you put it, and generally lacks any personality.  With a product like this, being a lifestyle device, those things are important to me.

It's a standard Sony design.  You've seen it a million times.  Sure, the form factor may be "new", but it's still a Sony product.  No where near the originality of the C1 or classic chumby.  It's also wired, as opposed to the C1 (with battery option), so be aware of that.

It's a closed system.  Long gone is the freedom to hack and do what YOU would like to do with your device.  The acceptance system for widgets is bound to be more restrictive as well (it's already appearing to be so).  If Sony don't like it, chances are they won't allow you to add it.  This is quite a contrast to chumby ind., and the devices they have produced.  Are we heading into the wonderful waters of the Apple approval system here?  Of course if you're not developing for the device, then that won't matter to you.

The UI is sloooow.  I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.  The C1 still laps it in speed.  The sound is less than desirable out of the box.  To its credit, the widescreen is nice, but unfortunately the 1000's of widgets are not built in that screen ratio, so they appear as squares in the full screen mode (there are a handful that do support the different display sizes).  It's great for the video playback, which reminds me, the USB drive sticking out of the side of the unit...not cool.  But that shouldn't be too much of an issue since you can't play your own media at this time anyway.  Though I do believe they are allowing this in an upcoming update.  I hope. wink

To simply pass off the Sony dash as the "better" device because of network connectivity, and Slacker radio, doesn't do anyone any service in my opinion.  Both chumby devices are amazing pieces, and can more than fullfill the needs that they were meant to meet.

With the chumby devices we have been lucky enough to have access to a product that not only has a bit of a personality in it's design (okay, a LOT of personality), but is also backed by a company philosophy, and willingness to listen to it's users, and developers.  That is hard to come by in this day and age.  With the rushed release, and the slow, if unavailable support currently on hand for the dash, I have had a second opportunity to be reminded of how great a company, and device, like chumby is.

At the end of the day, everyones preferences are different.  I think it's important to remind anyone who may be in the market for a chumby device to think before you spend your dollars.  If a chumby ind. device will do what you need it to do, especially the C1, then vote with your wallet.  We need companies like chumby to stick around.

Anyone else have both a chumby, and a dash that want to share their experience?  Jump on in!

Cheers.

Let Sony release an update before condemning the Dash.  I hope that they are bright enough to listen to their PAYING customers and address some of the minor quirks/issues that it does have.  Even "As Is", I prefer the vibrant bright BIGGER display of the Dash over any of my 3 Chumby's.

I have to agree with cbreeze quite a bit here... the chumby, and more importantly, the company and folks behind it, are a rare find these days.  I like Sony products, and am happy that they decided to build there own chumby device.  But Sony is a typical company that does not listen to its customers... they built the Dash to mass market and make money, not to let you play with it... I wouldn't get too used to any particular feature on the Dash either... Sony may decide to remove it at any time... just like they recently did on the PS/3.  And the hundreds if not thousands of folks who complained about the removal of these features were just ignored.  So anything bought from Sony these days needs to be taken with a bit of caveat emptor.

Having owned the C1 for a while now, and now the DASH for a few weeks,  I like the DASH more though there do seem to be bugs that need to get fixed and missing features added still.

For one thing, I just LOVE the larger screen.  This alone allows me to not only see the Widgets but at the same time see what time it is and the current Temperature without having to have clock widgets every so often so I know what time it is, I can have other Widgets instead to look at.

Netflix streaming works great for me!!!  A huge plus for me.  Stacker is also a bonus.

No battery backup sucks.  If the power is out when the alarm is suppose to go off, your a little screwed, if your power went off but came back on before the Alarm goes off, your still fine.  I do use a cheap secondary Battery powered Alarm clock as backup anyway.   Having to get up at 3AM or so in the Morning to get ready and go to work isn't easy for me.  2 annoying alarms going off at the same time wakes me up for sure.

There are many things to like about the DASH over the C1, but I have notice some bugs that need fixing.  The USB port is still disabled, Multi juster on the screen is disabled.  There's nothing that makes use of the MIC yet.   The Alarm Settings needs to be Improved, the C1 is better in this regard.   Hopefully the next Update will fix some of these and other issues.   I still like the DASH over the C1 though.

Multi touch and gesture support will take an implementation of Flash Lite 4 I think. This is noted in the Flash 4 feature set.

What do owners of both think of th Dash's speakers?  I am really impressed with the C1 sound, not exactly competitive with 70 watt 5" hi-fi bookshelf speakers (say, I should really hook those up to the headphone port, when I get time to build shelves for them...), but the C1 sound is really good for the size.

I am a little disappointed in the C1 stuttering Pandora music when loading widgets, it could be a network thing, doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying.

I'm not thrilled with the sound, but if you like the C1 sound you would probably find it acceptable.

MangoCat wrote:

What do owners of both think of th Dash's speakers?  I am really impressed with the C1 sound, not exactly competitive with 70 watt 5" hi-fi bookshelf speakers (say, I should really hook those up to the headphone port, when I get time to build shelves for them...), but the C1 sound is really good for the size.

I am a little disappointed in the C1 stuttering Pandora music when loading widgets, it could be a network thing, doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying.

Dash's speakers and sound are better than both the CC and the C1 IMO.

cbreeze wrote:

To simply pass off the Sony dash as the "better" device because of network connectivity, and Slacker radio, doesn't do anyone any service in my opinion.

You're obviously very pro-Chumby and that's fine.  The Dash is better for me simply because of it's better wireless network connectivity , the ability ti utilize Slacker and the bigger screen.. End of story.

17 (edited by fishy 2010-05-23 17:27:46)

I had a Dash as my first Chumby device, returned it because of the huge flaws, got a C1, and couldn't be happier. It all matters what you want to do with it. I wanted the ultimate alarm clock and the Dash is anything but.

Plus, it turns out I can't stand the fact that Sony has no communication channel that isn't just pure PR. This is 2010- you need to connect with your customers.

I'm brand new here (Hi all) and was inspired to buy my C1 after my sister in America bought a Dash. There is no Dash available  in the UK so I came here and read as much as I could before purchasing.

Apart from liking the flashier, bigger screen size of the Dash, I am happy that my C1 is apparently more open source and that there are fantastic people out there making widgets for those of us who don't know how to code.

I have tried to read as much as possible, but when there are mentions of using scripts to hack the Chumbys, there is often no hand-holding step-by-step guide for the uninitiated like me. It's tacitly assumed we all understand it (a bit like Microsoft 'Help'). Are there any particular stickied subjects or forum areas where us hoi polloi can get information more suited to our feeble brains so that we too can hack our Chumbys? wink   And how do you restore if it all goes horribly wrong?

I'm looking forward to enjoying my new toy after I figure out how to fully do everything I want to with it.

Nice to 'meet' you all,

An ad I stumbled on for the Sony Dash is what led me to purchase my Chumby One.  I was looking for "the ultimate clock radio".  Researching the Dash led me to the Chumby website.  I thought the Chumby Classic was kind of cheezy, but the Chumby One was a simple, retro campy looking, device that had all the makings of a reliable alarm clock... the back-up battery.  Add in steroids in the making of cool widgets that display weather, play internet radio, play CBS News clips, YouTube, etc and the Chumby One fit the bill.  I was still pondering the $129 shipped price tag when I stumbled on the $99 Costco deal... I have had my Chumby One bedside for a week now and love it!

Is the Dash hackable as the Chumby is ?
(by "hackable", I mean the little PI symbol in the info screen that gives access to hidden options, especially the "SSH" that gives you a total access to the chumby, which then reveals itself as a Linux PC smile ).

No.

Goodbye Dash, Hello BB8.

chumichurri wrote:

Is the Dash hackable as the Chumby is ?
(by "hackable", I mean the little PI symbol in the info screen that gives access to hidden options, especially the "SSH" that gives you a total access to the chumby, which then reveals itself as a Linux PC smile ).

No, the Sony dash is a closed device.