Topic: [Dash] When is playing from USB coming?

I'm pretty disappointed to find that on my Dash I'm not able to play music or videos off USB devices. When I navigate to the USB source from the Music or Video menu it's all I get is a black screen and the text "Coming Soon."

Does anyone have any information on when this feature is coming?

The printed docs and the website all mention being able to play from USB so I'm pretty surprised that this isn't in the latest build.

Re: [Dash] When is playing from USB coming?

I'm just as shocked and disappointed as you are my friend.  After all, it is mentioned as a "feature".

I'm going to stay optimistic and assume the issue is simply that they didn't get the software out in time and that it will only be a matter of days before new firmware is released to open up these features.

Who own the development on the software? Sony or Chumby? If it comes down to pointing fingers....

The release schedule is under Sony's control.

I'm new here. Should I take the brief response to mean you know when the feature is coming, but since Sony is in control you can't talk about it?

We're limited in what we can say publicly about the device.

I can discuss some of the features that are specifically related to our service, but things like software release schedule, availability of features, customer support, etc., are entirely under Sony's domain and chumby cannot answer questions on those topics.

Duane. Thanks for the info.

Is the development forum going to be a Chumby adventure? The documents for the Dash point to this forum for Development help.

My understanding is that Sony will have their own development forum.

Thanks.

The development docs for the Dash point to this forum and the wiki for help. Will Chumby help developers with Dash questions or issues related to developing for both platforms?

Yes, to a limited degree.

The biggest issue for widget developers is that the Stage is no longer fixed at 320x240 - not only is it not necessarily that size, it can change while the widget is running.  The aspect ratio can change as well.

That means that you'll have to rethink how your widget lays out its content - should it simply scale, or should it attempt to "liquid layout" as the Stage changes size to conform to the new dimensions?  There is no single answer for every widget.

This is not the only chumby-like device with this issue - there are other large-format devices that will be available soon, some with screens even larger than the dash.

Sounds good. Looking forward to how things mature and develop here.

Duane wrote:

This is not the only chumby-like device with this issue - there are other large-format devices that will be available soon, some with screens even larger than the dash.

This is interesting. Will any of these new devices be more Open than the Dash?

I think I found the device you were referring to.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/chum … -mwc-2010/

Looks great. I understand it may be Open as well smile

I really hope this one makes it to market!

This note is really an endorsement of Chumby rather than a Dash entry so I hope it survives the moderator's scrutiny.

Anyway, a major and important difference between the Chumby OS and SONY's closed system is that Chumby works abroad. SONY's Dash currently (June 2010) has a "missing XAPI service issue," which affects all customers attempting to use their Dash from a non-U.S. IP address.

As a tour of many non-SONY user bulletin boards will quickly show, dozens of customers in countries on practically every continent have purchased Dash recently and, unlike the Chumby, have been blocked from getting even the simplest functionality from this machine (even new system updates are stymied since it won't authorize). SONY marketing materials make no mention of this restriction and provide no warnings. The company has not responded to any of the questions raised in its own forum regarding the timing of a fix (short of other customers' suggestions of paying for a VPN terminating at a U.S. IP address).

This is prime territory for a class actions proceeding against SONY for negligent misrepresentation and its known product/service defect. Until SONY reacts to the XAPI issue, my personal recommendation is that no one purchase a SONY Dash if they plan to use it outside the U.S. or expect to travel with it. SONY has been unresponsive to customer queries and is grossly mismanaging its handling of this issue.

SONY's approach to encouraging development of apps is also quite pathetic to date.

I can only hope that SONY sees fit to be as open about its system as Chumby.

Your post is actully off topic and has nothing to do with the USB feature. Also, now that Sony has a forum for this product most discussions should happen over there.

Sony has been responsive to customers that try to use the device outside of the US. I'm not sure where you get your information. If you are a customer affected by the geo restriction you may want to post on the Sony site if you haven't been supported by callign the Sony support number. You did call support didn't you?

This isn't a Sony forum so I'm just not sure why you would come here are complain about Sony accept for mud slinging. I imagine you are just upset you are excluded from using the product because of where you wanted to use the product.

Unfortunately, this post puts us in a difficult position given our relationship with Sony.

As pounce says, this forum really isn't the right place to discuss this issue, even if such a discussion were positive towards Chumby.  The Sony dash is a Sony product, not a chumby product, and any post on this forum will have no affect on Sony policies any more than if you posted on some other non-Sony forum.  As far as I know, Sony does not monitor posts here.

I *strongly* suggest that you post your issues on the Sony forum linked at the top of this forum - my understanding is that the "right" people monitor that forum, and even if they aren't directly responding, they are indeed listening very carefully.