Topic: Local Channel

Hi,

Would it be possible in a future upgrade to add this functionality or something similar? 

My idea is to create a local channel that is hidden by default.  This channel once opened up by going to the PI screen would let us drop .swf files in a specific location on the chumby or usb drive: /mnt/usb/channel or /mnt/storage/channel and then when the chumby.com site goes down it could automatically play the local channel, and also you would be able to switch to the local channel from the change channel screen. 

I think it might be best to have this hidden or turned off so beginner users don't complain that they don't know how to use it, but it would let us be able to put content on our chumby's and be able to create our own custom content without having to use up chumby.com's bandwidth also.

Let me know if this would be possible,

Thanks

Re: Local Channel

There is a way to add local widgets into a channel however I think it's currently slightly broken.  I've had some trouble with this.  To me, it is also "broken" in the fact that it won't work unless there is network, and it mixes into ALL channels.  It would be nice if there could be a per-channel profile.xml, or another property in the file that will allow certain widgets for certain channels.  I asked about that here and haven't heard anything but "we'll look into that".

Hope that helps!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Re: Local Channel

Much agreed about the lack of channel awareness with the local SWF integration.  I'd love to see that supported.