1 (edited by theprawn 2008-12-27 17:55:13)

Topic: LaLa.com Widget

More than anything else, I would love to see lala.com on the Chumby -- and I think it would be as viable to do as pandora/shoutcast/iheartradio.
lala.com allows you to upload your drm-free mp3's to them, you can then listen to your music library free of charge from any computer with the Internet and a webbrowser. (My hope here is to add "and chumby" to that list).  Totally free. And they use no advertising on the website, so while with some companies they might drag their feet going Chumby as they'd lose ad revenue, that's not an issue here.

It also acts as a music store, allowing you to purchase web-streaming-only songs for 10 cents or downloadable drm-free mp3's for 89 cents.  Perhaps, like with Pandora, we could link our chumby to our lala.com account, so we could purchase the tracks fright from the chumby. It would effectively be bringing both a music store AND the ability to stream your library to your chumby without having to muck around with third party applications. (It would also mean I could bring my music with me, in form of my chumby, any time I travel and have Internet).

http://www.lala.com
(Or, if you want to earn me a handful of free songs you can use the referrel link below)

Full Disclosure: Shameless Referrel Link

Edit: Amending grammar fail

Re: LaLa.com Widget

That is exactly like grooveshark.

I'm partial to the lala interface and last I knew you couldn't purchase mp3's from grooveshark--can you now? Either way, I'd settle for grooveshark if it meant streaming my library to the chumby without the pain of Orb etc.

Not sure if this widget suggestion is still under consideration,  but I'd also LOVE to see a lala widget. Lala (recently purchased by Apple) is a fabulous service, and with a chumby widget, I'd have my entire digital music library available on my chumby - can't tell you how happy that would make me and - I'm sure - any other chumby owners who use lala.

Fingers crossed!

Given the recent purchase by Apple. it seems extremely unlikely that the Lala service will be made available to devices like the chumby.

True, but sad - and it's not necessarily clear to me why Apple would want to restrict lala's reach.

At any rate, I've skirted the problem by using Nicecast (thanks to the Chumby wiki for the suggestion); I can now happily broadcast lala, the bbc, and anything else I like to my Chumby. Not exactly ideal, but close enough!