Topic: pluggable audio sources?

So let's say that I was crazy, and that I wanted to try writing a better audio file/playlist browser than what is currently available as "my music files".  (I'm probably not that crazy, but let's say for the sake of argument that I am.)  Nothing too special, just something that parses m3u and xspf playlist files, read and displayed id3v2/vorbiscomment tags, and presented a few more options than "shuffle" and "play sequentially."

Now, I could do this as a widget, but that imposes some annoying limitations: I have to dedicate a whole channel to it (and switch back and forth between channels to get to it), and of course there's no way to use it as an alarm clock sound source.

What I'd really like would be some sort of basic plug-in API for a music source, analogous to the custom alarm ring screen: a default location for a compiled flash movie(s), and some exposed functions to hook into the music source list UI.

Is this even remotely possible?  Would the licensed music sources lose their minds at the concept?  Should I just be submitting my resume to Chumby Inc if I want to do this sort of thing? smile

Re: pluggable audio sources?

There's a provision for user-created music sources, but it's not as refined as user-created widgets.  Documentation is available at the very bottom of the Chumby and Music wiki page.

These widgets run at the same level as the control panel, so they have access to things like btplay, and can effectively run "in the background" while other widgets are playing.

Re: pluggable audio sources?

Nice!  Thank you, I'll start a-readin'.