Topic: Suggestions for the auto turn on after power failure thing

1. have an option to turn that off
2. when auto turning on, dont make the bubbly noise because people might be sleeping.

Re: Suggestions for the auto turn on after power failure thing

Has auto turn on been implemented?

BamLabs wrote:

It's a feature of the "2009" model of the chumby.

4 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-07-04 08:52:25)

Duane wrote:
BamLabs wrote:

It's a feature of the "2009" model of the chumby.

I have one of the purported "2009" Chumbys (Chumbies?); it has the new style attachment for the charms, and the variable brightness setting . . . I'm not sure which features were introduced when, but I think having both of those pretty much guarantees a 2009 Chumby.

But mine doesn't restart after a power failure.

We had a "blip" earlier today; a 2-3 second outage that dropped 2 of the computers in my office and my wife's computer upstairs. It also shut down the Chumby, and it didn't automatically recover.

Do I have some weird, frankensteinian model built from leftover parts from both newer and earlier models, or is there something wrong with mine?

Go to the Settings->Chumby Info panel - if the hardware says 3.8, then it's a 2009 model.

If so, unplug the device, leve it off power for a few seconds, then plug it back in - if it doesn't turn on without hitting the power swtich, then contact Customer Support.

It's possible that the power glitch you experienced didn't shut the device off long enough for the circuitry to drain enough - just enough to shut down the main processor, but not enough to turn off the crypto processor, which handles this behavior.  Many devices require to be off for several seconds before being powered up normally.

6 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-07-04 13:02:05)

It's v3.8 alright.

I unplugged it, waited about 10 seconds, and plugged it back in again . . . it didn't restart.

I then removed the fairly depleted 9v battery I had plugged into the "deprecated" 9v connector, and tried again . . . and it restarted as I would have expected. My guess is that with a good 9v battery plugged into the connector it would've just rode out the 3s dropout just fine, or at least shut down in such a way that it would restart properly when power was restored.

Thanks, Duane!

Yeah, that would do it - a run-down 9V would keep the crypto processor alive but be insufficient to keep the main processor alive.

acb73737 wrote:

LOL... you guys can't win, can you?

dougrb wrote:
acb73737 wrote:

No, sometimes it seems we can't.

Duane wrote:
dougrb wrote:
acb73737 wrote:

No, sometimes it seems we can't.

Can I have an option to hide the option to turn off the auto-restart function? mad

We do NOT want to go down the Are you sure your sure lineage of prompts.. Doesnt Windoze do that enough!