Topic: Control Panel Source Code

Is the source code for the control panel available somewhere?

Thanks
-Sam

Re: Control Panel Source Code

No, unfortunately not at this time.

The Control Panel includes Chumby trademarks, third-party trademarks, third-party API keys etc, licensed fonts, etc, so we can't release it without endangering various contractual relationships.

If there's functionality in there that you'd like to understand, let me know - I can certainly share various code snippets.

Note also that the Ironforge/Falconwing Control Panel is written in Actionscript 1.

Ah fair enough...

In that case is there some special API you are using to dim/brighten the display?

Ah, what you want is this.

Thanks...

Though does this:

Many of these ASnatives are available only to the "master" instance, typically the Control Panel.

mean that it is most likely to not work from my own widget?

Correct.  In some cases you can query these values from a widget, but you can't set them.

It's a pretty obvious security issue - you can't allow random widgets to affect the hardware by default.

These calls are really only useful for someone making their own Control Panel or local master movie, whatever it happens to do.

However, you can configure your *own* device to drop this security barrier:

1) Create the file /psp/flashplayer.cfg
2) Add the following line:
PrivilegedCallExceptions=65535
3) Reboot

Widgets will now be able to make privileged ASnative calls on your chumby, just like the Control Panel.  Security is completely down, your device (and your network) is now wide open for exploits.  A malicious widget could brick the device.

Thanks... that is really helpful.

Last question for tonight :-) is there a way to change some of the look and feel of the control panel? Like the background color on the various screens etc... or is it not configurable in that way?

No, it's not skinnable.

That's an interesting idea though - I'll look into it.