Topic: Fast widget selection

My channels that contain many widgets fall into 2 categories: (1) those that provide ambient information, like clocks, weather, cameras, and these channels that play their widgets randomly or sequentially without my involvement (2) those that are more interactive, where I accumulate lots of widgets I want to play or interact for a longer period of time. Such as Facebook, Flickr, games, and so on.

My suggestion is targeted to the second category - the method for getting to a desired widget for this category is cumbersome, especially as the number of widgets in the channel grows.

I propose that rather than the linear method (or in addition to it), that the control panel presents a matrix of widget thumbnails so I am just a click away from selecting it, or at most a couple clicks away (depending on how many thumbnails you can fit on the page and subsequent pagination through them). I figure that if the thumbnails are descriptive enough, you can fit at the very least a 3x3 matrix (or preferably a 4x4 matrix), and in my case all my widgets in any one channel would fit in either 1 or 2 pages.

This would sure beat having to click through dozens widgets to get to the one I want.

Tony

Re: Fast widget selection

I agree with you.  I really like having the chumby 'hanging around' as an ambient device.  But when I want to USE it for something I find it more hassle than it's worth to select a certain widget.  I've shown the device to numerous friends and this is the first thing they notice once we start to look at widgets that 'take action'.

It would be nice to have the initial screen of the control panel have a better widget/channel changing UI.