Topic: NTP SERVER

HI Guys I hope this is not a difficult thing to add but would you please add the ability to select the NTP server used.
Thank you
Yaesumofo

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Re: NTP SERVER

busybox doesn't include 'ntpdate', so we use 'rdate' to connect to the time service [RFC 868] on time.chumby.com. 

we are taking major steps to improve our site reliability, so this should be the only definitive time source required.

/mdkail

OK. Wouldn't allowing people to choose their time server Like time.nist.gov
ease the traffic crunch on the chumby servers in general?
My question actually did not have anything to do with site reliability.
It had more to do with having  accurate time on the chumby. I have noticed my chumby being OFF by between 20 and 30 seconds at times.
Being a clock/time freak I go to what ever lengths necessary to keep the clocks in my house as close to perfect as possible.
Recently the Chumby has been right on. I would still like the option to choose another time server.
Is there some reason why time.chumby.com absolutely has to be used?
Just curious.
Yaesumofo

mail wrote:

busybox doesn't include 'ntpdate', so we use 'rdate' to connect to the time service [RFC 868] on time.chumby.com. 

we are taking major steps to improve our site reliability, so this should be the only definitive time source required.

/mail

yaesumofo wrote:

the amount of bandwidth used by the 'rdate' sync is trivial and doesn't affect overall Chumby Network traffic.

the primary reason is 'netiquette'.  it's good practice to provide 'time' service, especially if one is making devices
that use such a service.

/mdkail

I can understand both points.
I still like the idea of using other publicly accessible NTP servers if as an end user I choose to.
I don't understand the resistance to this. But will fall into step if there is no possibility of offering this option.

Yaesumofo

mail wrote:
yaesumofo wrote:

the amount of bandwidth used by the 'rdate' sync is trivial and doesn't affect overall Chumby Network traffic.

the primary reason is 'netiquette'.  it's good practice to provide 'time' service, especially if one is making devices
that use such a service.

/mail

6 (edited by joltdude 2008-03-30 07:55:52)

Grrrh. a limitation of busybox...
If the chumby could broadcast NTP or pull it from my firewall (firewall grabs NTP time automatically ).... wink
In some ways it could be even a friendlier net.neighbor

Even Microsoft allows you to select a time server in Windows, although time.microsoft.com is the default.

yaesumofo wrote:

I have noticed my chumby being OFF by between 20 and 30 seconds at times.

Was this recently?

There was an issue with older firmware that didn't take into account the 23 leap seconds that have been added since 1970.  That was fixed by firmware 1.2/396.  If you've seen it since then, we're really interested in knowing about it.

Like all computers, the chumby has a natural drift of the hardware clock that can be a second or so a day - that's due to the tolerances of the clock crystals, none of them are 100% accurate.

The chumby resyncs with network time every 24 hours.

NO this was prior to the receint firmware change.
Strange because for a while my chumby was off and It wouldn't correct. Now I understand why.
All is well on that front.
I would still like to select the NTP server though.
Yaesumofo

Duane wrote:
yaesumofo wrote:

I have noticed my chumby being OFF by between 20 and 30 seconds at times.

Was this recently?

There was an issue with older firmware that didn't take into account the 23 leap seconds that have been added since 1970.  That was fixed by firmware 1.2/396.  If you've seen it since then, we're really interested in knowing about it.

Like all computers, the chumby has a natural drift of the hardware clock that can be a second or so a day - that's due to the tolerances of the clock crystals, none of them are 100% accurate.

The chumby resyncs with network time every 24 hours.

Hi,
I second adding the ability to use NTP and point to any server.  My chumby lives behind a firewall, and rdate don't go through.  I do have an internal NTP server I can point to.
/s/  Martin

if possible, add a host entry on your chumby (if possible) for time.chumby.com or set it up in your dns. yea it isnt the same as being able to set it, but it will get the job done. but i do agree that chumby should be providing the devices time, but i also agree that ppl should be able to choose their provider. after all this is a democracy (at least where i am located), not a chumocracy. (c) me on the chumocracy smile

meshferg wrote:

Hi,
I second adding the ability to use NTP and point to any server.  My chumby lives behind a firewall, and rdate don't go through.  I do have an internal NTP server I can point to.
/s/  Martin

Exactly the same here.

cfs wrote:
meshferg wrote:

Hi,
/s/  Martin

Exactly the same here.

Same!

dougrb wrote:
cfs wrote:
meshferg wrote:

Hi,
/s/  Martin

Exactly the same here.

Same!

Is there a resolution available for this one yet?

I'm stuck with having my Chumby behind a corporate firewall which does not provide access to an external NTP port. We do have an internal NTP server that I would love to use.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Things have changed a bit since this post was made.  Chumby now uses NTP, rather than rdate, and actually issues an "ntpdate" request as part of its connection process.

It actually does an ntpdate to pool.ntp.org, which you could override in /psp/hosts.  One thing you can do is figure out the IP address of your corporate network and then log in to your Chumby and add it to /psp/hosts overwriting the name for pool.ntp.org, like this:

echo "12.34.56.78 pool.ntp.org" >> /psp/hosts

The thing is I'm not sure if that file gets regenerated as part of the startup script.  I don't think it does, so this should persist across reboots.  Another pitfall that you'll encounter is if you try to take it out of your corporate network, it'll be looking at the wrong server.  Of course, if that were the case, you could come up with a debugchumby script to overwrite it.

ChumbyLurker wrote:

It actually does an ntpdate to pool.ntp.org, which you could override in /psp/hosts.  One thing you can do is figure out the IP address of your corporate network and then log in to your Chumby and add it to /psp/hosts overwriting the name for pool.ntp.org, like this:

echo "12.34.56.78 pool.ntp.org" >> /psp/hosts

GENIUS!! That is all I needed ChumbyLurker. It worked wonderfully. Thanks a ton for the tip.. smile