Topic: 'One time alarm' suggestion

I was using the "One time alarm" feature for the first time last night, and the default date when you're setting the alarm is actually today's date.   

I didn't notice this initially (hey, I was tired - that's why I was setting the alarm!) and it allowed me to completely define the alarm for a date and time in the past.   I suggest you consider a minor change here - to set the default date for the 'one time alarm' to current date + 1 (tomorrow)... if some one needs an alarm for later the same day, they can easily change it, but the majority of users will likely want a one time alarm for tomorrow sometime.

Does that make sense?

Re: 'One time alarm' suggestion

gmatthews wrote:

I was using the "One time alarm" feature for the first time last night, and the default date when you're setting the alarm is actually today's date.   

I didn't notice this initially (hey, I was tired - that's why I was setting the alarm!) and it allowed me to completely define the alarm for a date and time in the past.   I suggest you consider a minor change here - to set the default date for the 'one time alarm' to current date + 1 (tomorrow)... if some one needs an alarm for later the same day, they can easily change it, but the majority of users will likely want a one time alarm for tomorrow sometime.

Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me.

+1

Makes sense to me too, but I think most timers (VCRs and the like) default to "today's" date when setting a timer, so having it default to "tomorrow" may cause some confusion.  I think a better fix would be to show a warning if you set up an alarm for a past date/time.

Since the user sets the time before the date, I guess what we could do it use today's date if the time has not yet passed, and tomorrow's if it has.

An excellent solution, Duane!

6 (edited by CalvinOZ 2009-06-14 03:38:42)

gmatthews wrote:

I didn't notice this initially (hey, I was tired - that's why I was setting the alarm!) and it allowed me to completely define the alarm for a date and time in the past.

I'd agree there is a problem here - obviously you shouldn't be allowed to set a 'retrospective' alarm !

The Chumby DOES sort of trap this situation in the current software. If you do accidentally forget to advance the Date when setting the Alarm, the Chumby WILL currently let you ADD the alarm to your Alarms list - but WON'T let you ENABLE it.

This is how I got caught - after chasing my tail for about 10 minutes, scratching my head wondering "Why won't it let me enable the alarm I just created ?" I suddenly realised it was today's date, and the time I had specified had of course ALREADY passed :-P

I think the correct logic that needs to be used here in solving this is a little more complex than forcing (Today's date + 1) - I would suggest the correct logic would be:

IF "Alarm Trigger Time" is less than (earlier) than "Current Time" THEN "Alarm Date" = "Today's Date" + 1  (Which is basically I think what Duane said :-)  )

Hope that makes sense....

Calvin.

7 (edited by Christian 2009-06-15 06:08:26)

I don't see a reason why a "one time alert" actually needs a date. I program the alarm at a certain time, and when the time is reached the alarm rings and disables itself. When I need it again, I just enable it in the evening, it rings in the morning and is disabled again afterwards. That would be so much easier and I think this is the behavior most people expect from a "one time alert". I think there are very few people who really want to set an alarm for a certain date other than tomorrow.

Christian wrote:

I don't see a reason why a "one time alert" actually needs a date. I program the alarm at a certain time, and when the time is reached the alarm rings and disables itself. When I need it again, I just enable it in the evening, it rings in the morning and is disabled again afterwards. That would be so much easier and I think this is the behavior most people expect from a "one time alert". I think there are very few people who really want to set an alarm for a certain date other than tomorrow.

Hi Christian,

A valid point - that solution would also be Ok for me.  we will have to wait and see what Duane and the Chumby team have to say about this :-)

Calvin.

PS: I've started another thread on Alarm issues here:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21964#p21964

The points I am raising are (sort of) related to this 'one time alarm' issue.