Topic: booting kernel from nfs

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to boot a custom kernel from NFS?

2. Any idea when the kernel sources will be synced to the latest update v1.2?

Why all the questions?   I'm trying to build in support for USB joysticks. 

Thanks.

Re: booting kernel from nfs

I just bugged the guy to get the 1.2 kernel source code up.

We can't currently boot over NFS, however, you wouldn't want to do that anyway to get a joystick going.  What you should probably do is build a loadable kernel module and load it from a dongle.

The kernel module would indeed be the ideal way to go, but I would have to wait until the latest kernel sources are available for that.

Thanks for your help Duane.

Hi,

Any word on when the 1.2 kernel will be up? 
Thanks,
Ajay

Yes - it's been posted for a couple of weeks here.

Ah, cool.  The wiki still reflects the 312 build so I had assumed the new stuff was not yet up.

Duane wrote:

Yes - it's been posted for a couple of weeks here.

One question - Why glibc 2.4 instead of 2.6?  Size?  Why not uClibc? 

I'm guessing you went with whatever your tools vendor (Microcross?) provided, but just in case I'm missing something...

Thanks.

Yes, that's what we got from Microcross - we may switch at some point.

We felt that uClibc was a bit too lightweight - we wanted people to have a relatively easy time cross compiling stuff that wasn't necessarily targeted at embedded platforms.

If we find people are only doing things for which uClibc is adequate, we may switch.

Duane wrote:

Yes, that's what we got from Microcross - we may switch at some point.

We felt that uClibc was a bit too lightweight - we wanted people to have a relatively easy time cross compiling stuff that wasn't necessarily targeted at embedded platforms.

If we find people are only doing things for which uClibc is adequate, we may switch.

Any new research?  How many people are compiling things that uClibc won't suffice?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

We're sticking with glibc.