Topic: IR remote interface

An IR interface for Chumby would be very handy, so you could use a TV-Remote style controller for it.  I can think of a lot of situations; say for the Chumby on the kitchen counter or living room, where using an IR remote would be the easiest way to flip through your MP3s or Internet radio stations

Bluetooth would also be handy; with a headset you could use it as a VOIP phone, or have a bluetooth keyboard for quick email/IM.  (OK, a BT keyboard is half the cost of the Chumby...maybe a wire wouldn't suck...)

Re: IR remote interface

From what I've heard, there's a serial interface in the Chumby that runs at TTL levels, so it shouldn't be too difficult to stick an infra-red port in there somewhere, even though the Chumby developers my want to leave this port open for what it is currently used for (a debug port).

Does the ARM processor have an exposed JTAG?

The chumbilical also has some "SPI" ports on it, but they can also be reconfigured to be GPIOs, and you can do some bit-banging on that. The UART is not exposed on the chumbilical, but it is available on the core board, and it should be okay to use that because you can start sshd on chumby.

There is a kinda exposed JTAG port. It's pinned out to some test points in case you want to solder to them. Fortunately, we haven't needed a JTAG port at all for development. It was a little painful bringing up the chumby, but as a little startup company we look for ways to save money on capital equipment and software in any way that makes sense.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

How about turn the IR around and use Chumby as an custom remote control... since it has a touch screen it's all ready to go.

On a different topic, there was talk of adding a bluetooth dongle...

make a usb bluetooth/ethernet/infrared hybrid usb stick.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

if anybodys interested, id whip them up a usb bluetooth/infrared/ethernet hub. small enough to fit inside chumby, but big enough to provide all three functions, and up to 3 more usb ports.

username is chumby
password is chumby

To chedabob, how big and how much would it be for that hub? + what kind of software would you be using to have it work?

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

^^

dunno, cost of materials, plus say $5 for a build charge. it would run with the software, id research stuff that worked with chumby before i sold it, but the idea is to have it run natively, no faffin around.

i reckon size wise, about the size of maybe a video cassette, maybe smaller. id make it so that it would fit behind the chumby screen.

username is chumby
password is chumby

So im guessing that it'd end up costing around 35-50 bucks for the hardware, but for a 3+ in one item thats not bad exp. if the bluetooth drivers could be used for other things (mic. or even camera). Not a bad idea no that "I" think about it. wink. I'll have to send u a message once i can get my hands on a Chumby.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

chedabob:

If you offered these, i would like one!

now all it needs is Bluetooth/ir support in the apps on the chumby smile tongue smile

--neg

hoping for a chumby release before xmas.
every chumby is squishy, except the ones that arent.

"New and Improved Chumby IR TV Remote" LOL j/k, but i bet once IR and Chumby become 1 its gonna be one of the first widgets of it kind. Ooo...Yea wink

Ooh yeah, this is gonna be an excellent touchscreen remote... Actually I'd like to try and get it to mesh with a Control4 system, which uses Wifi to run you stereo and house....

everythings a possibility. at the moment, tv control is prolly the most feasable. just need some hardware.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Considering how small the screen is on the chumby, how likely are you going to be THAT far away from it that you can't just use the touchscreen?  That said, it would be handy in a number of situations to be able to use a remote with the chumby.  But then you'll run in the problem of just what are you sending and how should the widgets deal with it?  Touchscreens enter x,y coordinates; that's not something you can easily replicate with a remote.

Is anyone still working on this? I would very much like to see the chumby control A/V gear. Combining flash with some simple IR hardware will allow people to make their own custom universal remote screens.

Here are some useful links if anyone decides to step up and implement this.

Info that was used to getting the PSP's IRDA interface to control Consumer Electronics gear:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=#23337

How the pronto format works:
http://www.remotecentral.com/features/irdisp1.htm

Linux infrared how-to:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/H … -HOWTO.pdf

What would be really useful is the ability to emit an ir pulse by feeding a command line program an ir code string. Then add the hook into flash, and people can create a flash interfaces with buttons that send ir codes to all of their devices. There are already lots of places to obtain IR codes in pronto format such as remotecentral

Something like this would also work, just use flash to send the commands over wifi from the chumby:
http://www.irtrans.de/en/shop/lancontrol.php

chumby.wanna.be wrote:

"New and Improved Chumby IR TV Remote"

And don't forget the big red  "Seen On TV" sticker.

Not to make my first post a blatant "bump" -- but are there plans to incorporate IR in a future iteration of the hardware? I couldn't find any more recent mentions of this topic.

I agree with everyone here who thinks using Chumby as a universal remote would be pretty great. Logitech's non-touchscreen remotes are indecipherable, and the touchscreen models are crazy expensive.

If "Chumby 2.0" or whatever includes IR and an internal battery, I'd happily plunk down $200 to use it as an alarm clock in the bedroom and a photo viewer/universal remote in the living room! Yes, I realize this plan would require a second power cord smile

I think an IR controller accessory would be pretty neat.

If it was something you plugged into the USB port in the back, do you think that would do the trick for you?

Building the hardware to do that won't be too difficult, I think -- the greater challenge would be writing the drivers and compiling the database of IR remote control commands. Does anybody know of a good (open) database of such things?

20 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-03-05 15:02:35)

This one http://www.lirc.org - courtesy of Google - might be good enough. The directory of supported remotes has entries dated 02-Mar-2008

Though, I'm not sure what FAQ #2 means?

"Q: Is my USB IrDA dongle supported by LIRC?

A: No, it's technically not possible to use USB IrDA dongles (as specified by the Infrared Data Association) with LIRC. This does not apply to USB receivers in general."

21 (edited by joltdude 2008-03-05 17:07:52)

IrDA is a method of transmitting data over IR... its not the same as the encoding used for *most* infared remotes..  Most Irda dongles wont do remote IR....

Duane.. one note of warning...
You might run into a patent issue with logitech if you get the remote code database via the web... Not sure but i think they own something on using the web to send configuration information to a universal remote... may want to do a patent search on this

Thanks for the lirc.org link. I'll keep this in the back of my head as I plug away at new hardware designs!

Better yet, utilize the WiFi, PSP or DS app anybody?

Coding it for PC or Mac would be easy, but I don't have any experience at coding for PSP or DS, new challenge for me smile

You can get USB IR ports, I use one on my media center along with a remote, they are available, search eBay for 'IR Blaster MCE'. You can usually find them with just 'IR MCE'.

Music Tames The Savage Beast

As does PHP and Perl.

I use LIRC with my home entertainment PC, and I'm very happy with it.  It works with a huge range of devices, so you can probably find one that satisfies any hardware requirements you might have (or is close enough to be modified), and is very easily configured to perform system commands or command particular to an active application.  Pretty much the way to go with remotes, unless you're very DIY-oriented.