Topic: FPS setting

Is 12 FPS (still) the most optimal setting for frame rate on the chumby? (I know some of the hardware changed in the move from alpha to production models)

Also, is "Host timer resolution" interval something applicable to Chumby?

On Symbian based mobile devices Host timer resolution affects frame rate of Flash Lite content (to a degree). Wondering if something similar applies to Chumby.

More about Host Timer resolution can be found here (if it is unfamiliar terminology to Chumbians):
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/art … zation.pdf

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!

Re: FPS setting

In currently released software versions (1.2 and eralier), the system timer has a resolution of 100us, however, we're replacing that with a timer with 1us resolution, which means that the host time issue should not apply - there is no "natural" frame rate.

The "ideal" frame rate is really up to what the particular movie is doing, however, movies intended to be run on Virtual Chumby should still be 12 fps.

3 (edited by scottjanousek 2007-11-21 11:22:13)

Thanks Duane.

And also, it appears 12 FPS is recommended for Flash Video from the dev wiki, which sounds about right.

www.scottjanousek.com/blog | scottjanousek.mobi
Adobe Flash Lite Certified Training Instructor | Adobe Community Expert - Mobile & Devices
Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices - www.flashmobilebook.com
O_o ... Enjoy your chumby!

If 12fps, then how works the youtube widget?
I'm developing a Youtube widget that allow you to filter on username but 12fps makes the movies so sloooooOOOooow...
Any ideas?Any Suggestions?

The fps is not enforced, so just have a play and see what works best. Of course, lower is better/friendly for the device in this instance

The FPS rate is enforced by Virtual Chumby (loaded movies inherit the frame rate form the container), but there is no such restriction on the real chumby.  however, you do need to work within the performance characteristics of the device. A CPU-heavy widget may affect music, etc.

I tried an FPS 'speedometer' on a real Chumby. The movie was trying to play at 60 FPS, and managed a pretty respectable 45 FPS. Of course the movie was doing nothing, so this would probably drop (maybe quite a bit) in a movie that was doing actual work.

I've managed to make the speedo readout fit into a 63x19 pixel movieclip, so it could be dropped into any other movie and give you a readout of the actual FPS that the movie is running at. If anyone wants that source to help them develop widgets, just drop me a mail with your email address.