Topic: Thinking about buying a ChUmBy quick question

i see that i get free shipping which is always a plus smile i was wondering where will the chumby ship from (state wise) and is there any way to get overnight delivery? I live in va and knowing my luck the chumby's ship from CA which take FOREVER

Re: Thinking about buying a ChUmBy quick question

oh also what resolution is the touch screen?

IIRC, Chumby ships direct from China.

And I think the screen res is 320x240.

oh that sucks figured the res. would be better then that i think ill pass for now atleast until the price drops but thanks smile

I do not see why you would need a higher resolution screen on a device of this size. For all that this can do the price is pretty reasonable and I doubt it will be going down anytime soon.

-HuckFinn

6 (edited by wayn3w 2008-02-16 15:51:11)

Cartmanland wrote:

oh that sucks figured the res. would be better then that i think ill pass for now atleast until the price drops but thanks smile

I doubt the price would drop, but it's value to me will increase as people provide more capabilities through widgets, USB devices and content.  It's been worth it so far.

wayn3w

i just dont understand why it costs $180 theres no way it costs that much to produce prob not even close , $99 would be the sweet spot

Actually, we don't make any money at the current price at the current volume.

Are you aware of a similar device with similar functionality and hardware that costs less (not counting used stuff on eBay)?

how does the company stay afloat?

It appears to be a well funded start-up company with long term goals which are beyond just selling a few pieces of hardware.
It looks to me like Chumby industries are in it for the long haul.
That requires a vast investment in infrastructure R and D market research manufacturing and more. None of it comes cheap.
So what are they doing? at the moment they are perfecting the first generation of Chumby. Their goal? clearly world domination.
No really I think these guys have it in their head that the chumby could have a major impact on peoples lives.  Not Many under $200 bits of hardware are able to go there. EXCEPT when you have a very dedicated team of people designing a set of interface tools designed to help the end user make the chumby do exactly what they want it to do. I for one am here to say they are well on their way.
It could be a gamble. the chumby could be a flop this would disappoint a lot of people. On the other hand if the chumby does what it does so well. And it does. People just need to see it and use it and they will want it. it may just be a fad. On the other hand what I believe they are attempting is a simple multifaceted information device which is a hybrid of radio TV computer and "screen".
It is a killer app in and of itself. Do you know what a killer app is?
Look it up.
The point is I don't know about you but I am seeki

A Chumby in hand is worth 20 in the Wherehouse.

Super fabu product, plus if you consider that you are getting such speedy shipping, you get a product equivalence of, at a modest estimate, $160.  My dad's electric Photo frame costs that much and it doesn't stream internet radio, have a leather cover, or fight crime like the Chumby, and there definitely isn't a pug that cleans it from the inside, or all the over-air updates.

good points , i really want one but i think ill hold off first and see what the future brings for it ive been burned before buying into new products (cough pos Gizmondo cough)

Yeah, shipping was insanely quick. I'm guessing they must be throwing in $15-$20 shipping on this thing. I think mine shipped on a Sunday morning from China and hit my doorstep in the Chicagoland area on Thursday.

Duane wrote:

Actually, we don't make any money at the current price at the current volume.

Are you aware of a similar device with similar functionality and hardware that costs less (not counting used stuff on eBay)?

I couldn't, that's one of the reasons I bought one.

sigh.. you guys are making me want to just say **** it and get one lol how long would it take to get to me in Virginia? they all ship from china correct?

I don't know how the company stats afloat, but Chumby really needs to MOVE away from the china-mart and complaints in general.

I'll put up the the lousy touch screen, but how much would it cost to build most of the Chumby in the US?  $500?  I doubt it!  Then again, can Chumby be a real company and say..  How much would it cost to produce this more in the USA?

Cartmanland wrote:

i just dont understand why it costs $180 theres no way it costs that much to produce prob not even close , $99 would be the sweet spot

Obviously it doesn't cost $180 to produce; but say you had a brilliant idea and were going to turn it into a product, would you not want to make a few bucks out of it? It's a little thing called business.

As for the screen not being a 37" HD super duper plasma mega super... you don't need it.

[/rant]

Buy it... you'll like it!

Think of it as a digital picture frame on steriods because it can not just display pictures, it can pull stuff from a bunch of different places on the web... which makes it a whole lot more interesting and useful.

True, there are a few software issues that are still being worked on.  But the Chumby folks have a passion for their little guy and have been good about updates and being open to suggestions.

And.. if you like to code, it's a really, really fun little gadget.

Cartmanland wrote:

good points , i really want one but i think ill hold off first and see what the future brings for it ive been burned before buying into new products (cough pos Gizmondo cough)

You bought a Gizmondo?  Seriously?  Man, you *are* brave...

The Chumby is a clock radio.  It's the coolest clock radio ever invented.  And if it's not cool enough for you, wait a week.  My worry is that my Chumby and my Roomba will get together some afternoon I'm off at work and blow out my apartment AKIRA-style.

Worst-case scenario?  Chumby goes Chapter 7 tomorrow.  I'll bet at least three pikers on this forum would snatch up enough assets to keep the network running for fun.  Hell, I'd do it, just so I could subject the network to prideful outages to demonstrate my superiority ("Who run Bartertown?"  "masterblaster."  "Louder!"  "MASTER BLASTER!"  "Embargo... lifted!")

I've spent more than $180 on a good night out.  Hell, I've spent more than $70 on singularly unimpressive clock radios.  As financial risks go, a Chumby isn't even on the radar.

Seth

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com