Topic: Clock and Alarm Problems

I don't set my clock from the internet b/c I like to let it run a bit fast. I only set it about 5 minutes ahead of actual time, however, when I woke up this morning, the clock advanced on its own and was 45 minutes ahead of actual time! It also missed another alarm. It seems to miss about 50% of the alarms. Is all this likely related to not setting the clock from the internet?

One other issue/suggestion. When I put my Chumby in Night Mode, it showed an alarm being set. I have a few daily and weekday alarms set. However, even though the next time the alarm was to go off was a weekday morning, on the Night Mode it reflected the next daily alarm. I'm thinking this may be a glitch in that it reflects daily alarms first and then weekday etc. It should instead reflect the next time the alarm is to go off. Is this a problem with my Chumby, or a glitch in the software, or something intentional?

Re: Clock and Alarm Problems

I'll ask QA to attempt to reproduce both of these issues.

Even if the clock is set manually, it should still do the Daylight Saving Time switch.

Duane wrote:

I'll ask QA to attempt to reproduce both of these issues.

Even if the clock is set manually, it should still do the Daylight Saving Time switch.

This actually didn't have anything to do with Daylight Savings Time. I set the clock manually on Sunday and the problem occurred Sunday night/Monday morning. I am interested in hearing what you find out though. It also misses at least half of the alarms and I'm not sure if that's related. That's equally as important since I need to rely on the Chumby as an alarm clock. Thanks.

One thing to try in the meantime is the beta Control Panel (see the Beta Software section of the forum).  The current beta has several alarm reliability improvements.

My alarm went of an hour after it was set to although the chumby switched to daylight savings without any problems ( was up at 2 and watched it jump straight to 3AM).  This morning's alarm was set to go off at 6AM but ended up going off at 7.  There was nothing that indicated the alarm had changed and in the control panel it still says it is set for 6AM.  Is this something taht would be solved with the Beta CP?  is it stable enough to use regularly?

There is a bug in alarms scheduled *across* DST switchovers.  No doubt your alarm was a "Weekday" or "Monday" alarm, that was rescheduled from the last time you used it last week.  The alarm will go off at the correct time from now on.

We found the bug in the Control Panel - it was an incorrect assumption that all days have 24 hours, which is obviously not the case during DST switchovers, during which days have either 23 or 25 hours.  This bug is being addressed in the Control Panel to properly handle the next transition in November.

Even with the current Control Panel, if you have alarms that were scheduled last week to fire this week (at this point, Tuesday- through Saturday-specific alarms), then you should reboot your chumby to have them rescheduled.

This seems to be the problem as all of my monday evening and tuesday morning stuff happened correctly.  Thanks much for the help!  I love how you all take the forum feedback to heart and improve the product with it.  More companies need to follow your example.  smile

Should we really be using the betas to get reliable alarms? I up dated my chumby last night with the current beta and my first alarm (my girlfriends) went off but with no sound. Mine went off 20 mintues later fine. As you can bet she wasn't to happy to be late to work. Do you think the last production release is stable enough or should I just givenup on using chumby as our alarm?