1 (edited by rdclark 2008-03-09 08:27:05)

Topic: Alarm clock fails DST switch

Here's a new bug for you:
- Set the alarm clock to 8:30am the night before the switch to DST ("spring forward" one hour)
- Note that the alarm doesn't go off at 8:30 the next morning, it goes off at 9:30am!

I haven't looked at the source code, but I bet the alarm is tied to GMT.

...Richard

2 (edited by joltdude 2008-03-09 09:11:14)

Re: Alarm clock fails DST switch

That is a very tricky thing for a device to do....
Hey at least it switched the time properly, at least for me wink
(i didnt even have to change the time on the chumby, it auto-set it for me)

yep, exact same thing happened to me this morning. The alarm time jumped ahead one hour along with the clock.

Happened to me too...I thought I was just an idiot and set it wrong.

-LloydM

"It's Chumbological!"

Yup, same here.  It wouldn't be so bad if the name of the alarm correctly changed with the time.  Last night, AFTER the time switch, I looked at the Alarm page, and all the alarms seemed to list the correct time.  That is, "Weekend at 10:30am" or similar.  I didn't go into each alarm to check the individual settings, because I thought the name of the alarm was derived from the alarm time automatically.

If the alarm name had changed, for example to "Weekend at 11:30am", then I would have known to change it.

Well, here's the issue - the way repeating alarms are stored is as a constant offset of minutes from midnight.

As a time offset in minutes from midnight, all of the alarms went off at the "correct" time, since a hour disappeared completely, for instance, 240 minutes after midnight was 5 am not 4 am as it would normally be.  As a time in English description, they went off an hour late.  In order to go off at the "correct" time by English description of these two days each year, I'm going to have to do a *lot* more calculations, and I'll have to change the representation of repeating alarms.

The English description is created based on a normal offset on a normal day, ie 240 minutes after midnight is almost always 4 am.

If you unset and set the alarms again, they'll go off correctly.

Duane, couldnt there be a server side script that runs that will unset then set the alarm times after the timechange?

Well, this really ought to do this right without any special scripting.  I think changing my internal representation should cover it.

There will still be some weird cases, for instance, what would you do if someone had set an alarm for 2:30 am, a time that never happened because the hour was skipped?  Or in the case of falling back in the autumn, does an alarm between 1:00 and 2:00 alarm go off twice?

Duane, as a number of minutes offset from midnight should still work correctly, I think.  Or do you mean that, it only fails to work "as expected" on the 2 days each year when the time changes?  So on all other days, the alarms should work correctly?

If it only fails on those 2 days, I guess I can kind of live with it, though of course, having the alarms fixed so they work as you'd expect would be better.

As for you other corner cases, I don't think those are as important, because those cases can also occur with a standard alarm clock.

Alarm is off by one hour today as well for me.  Monday.   sad

robdam1001 wrote:

Alarm is off by one hour today as well for me.  Monday.   sad

Reboot the chumby - that will recalculate the alarm times based on the new time offset until I get the problem solved in the Control Panel itself.

My alarm didn't go off AT ALL.

I'd push this bug to the top of your heap, chumby. You made me late to work today.

For those of you having alarm problems, please try the beta Control Panel.